Help to understand fast adiabatic expansion

In summary, the gas does work on the surroundings and so the final temperature is not the same as the initial temperature.
juanedilio
Hi,

I am going through a book on thermal physics (specifically on a section on the 2nd Law)

It talks about an extremely fast adiabatic expression (as a gas in one flask separated by a valve to another flask in vacuum and then the valve is opened).

What I fail to understand is that once the valve is opened and the gas is allowed to reach equilibrium then the final temperature will be the same as the initial temperature (even though Q=0). The ideal gas law tells me that for an adiabatic process when volume increases the temperature must decrease.

Please help me in understanding why the temperature stays the same,

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
juanedilio said:
Hi,

I am going through a book on thermal physics (specifically on a section on the 2nd Law)

It talks about an extremely fast adiabatic expression (as a gas in one flask separated by a valve to another flask in vacuum and then the valve is opened).

What I fail to understand is that once the valve is opened and the gas is allowed to reach equilibrium then the final temperature will be the same as the initial temperature (even though Q=0). The ideal gas law tells me that for an adiabatic process when volume increases the temperature must decrease.

Please help me in understanding why the temperature stays the same,

Thanks
You mention that the ideal gas law states that temperature is proportional to volume, which is indeed correct. However, you should also note that temperature is proportional to pressure. So to say that an increase in volume results in a decrease in pressure is not technically correct, this is only the case during an isobaric process. In your thought experiment, the volume does indeed increase, but that pressure also decreased (i.e. the process is no isobaric). An important point to note here is that a rapid adiabatic expansion is irreversible, and as such, whilst we can apply the ideal gas law to the initial and final equilibrium states, we cannot do the same for any intermediate states since these states do not have very well defined state variables.

Noting that for an ideal gas, it's temperature is proportional to it's internal energy, it is perhaps more useful to move away from the ideal gas law and instead consider the first law of thermodynamics:

[tex]dU = dQ+dW[/tex]

The problem states that the process is adiabatic and therefore the first term is zero, leaving us with:

[tex]dU = dW[/tex]

So now what you have to ask yourself, is that whether or not the gas does any work on the surroundings?

Thanks for the response.

I guess I got to caught up in the ideal gas law before checking if the 1st law was met.

What is fast adiabatic expansion?

Fast adiabatic expansion is a process in thermodynamics where a gas rapidly expands without any heat exchange with its surroundings. This leads to a decrease in pressure and temperature of the gas.

What are the applications of fast adiabatic expansion?

Fast adiabatic expansion is commonly used in refrigeration and air conditioning systems, as well as in gas turbines and other industrial processes. It can also be used to study the behavior of gases under extreme conditions.

How does fast adiabatic expansion differ from slow adiabatic expansion?

The main difference between fast and slow adiabatic expansion is the rate at which the expansion occurs. In fast adiabatic expansion, the gas expands very quickly, while in slow adiabatic expansion, the expansion is much slower. This results in different changes in temperature and pressure for the gas.

What is the role of entropy in fast adiabatic expansion?

Entropy is a measure of the disorder or randomness in a system. In fast adiabatic expansion, the rapid expansion causes an increase in entropy as the molecules of the gas become more disordered. This increase in entropy is a result of the gas expanding into a larger volume.

What are the limitations of fast adiabatic expansion?

One limitation of fast adiabatic expansion is that it can only occur in systems where there is no heat exchange with the surroundings. This means that it is not suitable for studying gases in open systems where heat transfer is possible. Additionally, fast adiabatic expansion can only occur in idealized systems and may not accurately represent real-life scenarios.