Help with a kinematics question

• Thread starter danhamilton
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Kinematics
In summary, the conversation discusses the problem of finding the water speed as it leaves a garden hose nozzle that is quickly moved away from a vertical position. The equation x(t)=height + Vo * t - 1/2 * a * t^2 is used, and after plugging in the given values, the initial velocity is calculated to be 9.25 m/s.
danhamilton

Homework Statement

Suppose you adjust your garden hose nozzle for a hard stream of water. You point the nozzle vertically upward at a height of 1.5m above the ground. When you quickly move the nozzle away from the vertical, you hear the water striking the ground next to you for another 2.0 seconds. What is the water speed as it leaves the nozzle?

Homework Equations

I'm assuming you have to use the formula
x(t)=height + Vo * t - 1/2 * a * [tex]t^2[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

So I plugged in the values given, and came up with this.

x(t)=1.5 + v(2) -1/2 * 10 * [tex]2^2[/tex]

x(t)=1.5 + v(2) - 20Now I'm kind of stuck though. It seems to me I have two variables, and nothing to do with them. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi danhamilton,

danhamilton said:

Homework Statement

Suppose you adjust your garden hose nozzle for a hard stream of water. You point the nozzle vertically upward at a height of 1.5m above the ground. When you quickly move the nozzle away from the vertical, you hear the water striking the ground next to you for another 2.0 seconds. What is the water speed as it leaves the nozzle?

Homework Equations

I'm assuming you have to use the formula
x(t)=height + Vo * t - 1/2 * a * [tex]t^2[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

So I plugged in the values given, and came up with this.

x(t)=1.5 + v(2) -1/2 * 10 * [tex]2^2[/tex]

x(t)=1.5 + v(2) - 20

Now I'm kind of stuck though. It seems to me I have two variables, and nothing to do with them. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

In your equation, you have labeled the first term on the right side as 'height'. That's true, but it's not just any height--it's the initial position (at t=0).

That's important because then on the left side x(t) is the position of the object at some time t. You've chosen t=2 (on the right side of the equation), so x(t) is the position at t=2. What would that be? Once you have that I believe you can solve for the initial speed.

I guess I meant initial position when I said height. So would that make x(t) 0?

Ok, so then
0 = 1.5 + v(2) - 20

18.5 = v(2)

So the initial velocity would be 9.25 m/s?

Awesome, thank you guys so much for the help!

1. What is kinematics?

Kinematics is the branch of mechanics that deals with the motion of objects without considering the forces that cause the motion.

2. How do I solve a kinematics question?

To solve a kinematics question, you need to use equations that relate the position, velocity, and acceleration of an object. You also need to identify the known and unknown variables and use appropriate units for calculations.

3. What are the three kinematic equations?

The three kinematic equations are:

1. v = u + at (relates final velocity, initial velocity, acceleration, and time)

2. s = ut + 1/2at^2 (relates distance, initial velocity, acceleration, and time)

3. v^2 = u^2 + 2as (relates final velocity, initial velocity, acceleration, and distance)

4. What is the difference between average and instantaneous velocity?

Average velocity is the total displacement of an object divided by the time taken, while instantaneous velocity is the velocity of an object at a specific moment in time. Average velocity is calculated over a period of time, while instantaneous velocity is calculated at a specific point in time.

5. How does kinematics relate to real-life situations?

Kinematics is used to describe and analyze the motion of objects in real-life situations. For example, it can be used to calculate the speed of a car, the trajectory of a ball, or the acceleration of a rocket. It also has applications in fields such as engineering, physics, and sports.