1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Water being hosed into the air.

1. Sep 7, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Suppose you adjust your garden hose nozzle for a hard stream of water. You point the nozzle
    vertically upward at a height of 1.5m above the ground. When you quickly move the nozzle away
    from the vertical, you hear the water striking the ground next to you for another 2.0s. What is
    the water speed as it leaves the nozzle?

2. Relevant equations

Δx =Vo t + 1/2 at^2

3. The attempt at a solution

Δx =Vo t + 1/2 at^2
    -1.5m = (2s) Vo + (1/2) (-9.8 m/s^2) (2s)^2
    -1.5m = (2s) Vo - 19.6 m
    Vo = 9.05 m/s

Now the above solution seems to be correct, but I am not sure why t should = 2s.
    I ended plugging 2 sec. in without really thinking about it, but now I am not able to
    spatially visualize what is going on with the water.

Any help appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 7, 2013 #2
    This is just a very standard linear kinematics question that's been verbally tarted up. The point is that once the hose is moved away from vertical the last 'drop' of water to leave the nozzle hits the ground 2s later. So you're right to use 2s as the time in this case. This problem is mathematically identical to the usual rock/ball/textbook/whatever being thrown into the air.

4. Sep 7, 2013 #3
    Hello!

Thank you, that makes sense now. :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted