Help with a Linux problem question

• Thread starter aznlau22
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Linux
In summary, Linux is an open-source operating system that offers benefits such as increased security, stability, and customization options. Users may need help with technical issues, and they can find assistance by searching online forums, reaching out to the developer or support team, or accessing resources on the official website. When asking for help, it is important to provide detailed information and follow etiquette guidelines. Paid support options are also available for those who may need it.
aznlau22
This is my first time on this site so I'm not sure if I am even posting in the right section...
Well I had a exam last week on commands and utilities and I wasn't sure how to aswer one of the question. The question is how do you print the first 15 lines of all files ending by “.txt” in all your folders and subfolders?
i know i have to use the head command but where do i go from there?

Physics news on Phys.org
Code:
find $HOME -name '*.txt' -exec head -15 {} \;

1. What is Linux and why would I need help with it?

Linux is an open-source operating system that is commonly used for servers, desktops, and other devices. It offers a variety of benefits such as increased security, stability, and customization options. However, as with any operating system, users may encounter technical issues that require assistance from others.

2. How can I find help with a Linux problem?

There are a few ways to find help with a Linux problem. You can try searching online forums or communities dedicated to Linux, where you may find answers from other users who have encountered similar issues. You can also reach out to the developer or support team of the specific Linux distribution you are using. Additionally, there are often resources and documentation available on the official website of the Linux distribution.

3. What information should I include when asking for help with a Linux problem?

When asking for help with a Linux problem, it is important to provide as much information as possible. This may include the specific Linux distribution and version you are using, the steps you have taken before encountering the issue, any error messages or codes, and any troubleshooting steps you have already tried. The more detailed your question is, the easier it will be for others to understand and provide a helpful answer.

4. Is there a specific etiquette for asking for help with a Linux problem?

Yes, there are some guidelines to follow when asking for help with a Linux problem. Be respectful and courteous in your communication, and try to provide as much information as possible. Avoid using all caps or excessive punctuation in your question, as this can come off as aggressive. Additionally, be patient and understanding with those who are trying to help you, as they are volunteering their time and expertise.

5. Can I get paid support for a Linux problem?

Yes, there are paid support options available for Linux users. Many companies offer technical support and services for a fee, and you can also hire a freelance Linux expert for assistance. Keep in mind that paid support may not always be necessary, as there are often free resources and communities available to help with Linux problems.