What is the easiest way to integrate a simple isothermal equation of state?

• Thread starter Peregrine
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integral
In summary, the person is looking for help with an integral and was looking for a simpler way to do it. They found a way to do it by splitting it up into partial fractions and solving for the constants.
Peregrine
In my continued pursuit of isothermal equation of state solutions, I've come upon a very simple integral I can't recall how to do, and was looking for assistance.

It is:

[tex] du = \int \frac{a}{T^{0.5}v(v+b)}dv[/tex]

where a, T and b are constants. so:

[tex] du = \frac{a}{T^{0.5}} \int \frac{1}{v(v+b)}dv[/tex]

I tried doing a u-substitution for v(v+b), but that leaves dv = du/(2v+b) which isn't permissible. Also, I tried integration by parts, using u=1/v and v = 1/(v+b), but that gets really messy with an integration of ln at the end. Does anyone have an easier way to do this simple integral that I'm missing? Thank you for the help.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The trick with these integrals is to split it up into "partial fractions", or whatever.
Like, in your case, you want to find an A and B such that:
[tex] = \dfrac{1}{ v(v+b) } = \dfrac{A}{v} + \dfrac{B}{v+b} [/tex]
Think you can go from there?

Last edited:
I think I have it - this means that:
[tex]\frac {1}{v} \frac {1}{v+b} = \frac {A(v+b)+Bv}{v(v+b)}[/tex]

This would imply, since the denominators are the same, that:
[tex] 1 = A(v+b)+Bv. [/tex]

I can then solve for A and B by choosing easy values for v. So, if v=0, then A=1/b. If v=-b, then B=-1/b. Plugging that back into the original equation leads to:

[tex] du = \frac{a}{T^{0.5}} \int \frac{1}{bv}-\frac{1}{b(v+b)}dv[/tex]

This is much easier to integrate, so:

[tex] u2 - u1 = \frac{a}{bT}[(ln(v) - ln (v+b)]_2 - \frac{a}{bT}[ln (v) - ln (v+b)]_1 [/tex]

simplifying to:[tex] u2 - u1 = [\frac{a}{bT} ln \frac {v}{(v+b)}]_2 - [\frac{a}{bT}ln \frac {v}{(v+b)}]_1 [/tex]

I think that's it? Thanks for the help!

Last edited:

FAQ: What is the easiest way to integrate a simple isothermal equation of state?

What is a simple integral?

A simple integral is a mathematical calculation that represents the area under a curve on a graph. It is often used to find the total value of a function or to solve problems related to rates of change.

How do I solve a simple integral?

To solve a simple integral, you need to follow a specific set of rules and techniques. These include finding the anti-derivative of the function, applying the limits of integration, and evaluating the integral using substitution or integration by parts.

What are the applications of simple integrals?

Simple integrals have various applications in fields such as physics, engineering, economics, and statistics. They are used to calculate displacement, velocity, acceleration, work, and other quantities that can be represented by a function.

What is the difference between definite and indefinite integrals?

A definite integral has specific limits of integration, while an indefinite integral does not. This means that a definite integral will have a numerical value, whereas an indefinite integral will result in a function with a constant of integration.

Can I use a calculator to solve a simple integral?

Yes, there are many online integral calculators available that can help you solve a simple integral. However, it is still important to understand the concepts and techniques involved in solving integrals to ensure accurate results.