How to Control Equation Numbering in an Equation Array?

• LaTeX
  • Thread starter kq6up
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Array
In summary, The equation array presented here is for calculating the expectation value of a Hamiltonian operator. The conversation also addresses the issue of controlling the number of equation numbers and how to view unrendered code for the math. Resources for managing equation numbers and viewing unrendered code are provided.
kq6up
I need help with this equation array.

\begin{align}
\bra{+}\hat{H}\ket{+}&=\frac{1}{2}(\bra{e}+\bra{o})\hat{H}(\ket{e}+\ket{o})\\
&=\frac{1}{2}(\bra{e}\ket{e}E_e+\bra{e}\ket{o}E_o+\bra{o}\ket{e}E_e\\
&+\bra{o}\ket{o}E_o)\\
&=\frac{1}{2}(E_e+E_o).
\end{align}

I just want it to list one equation number, but it lists one for every line. How do I control that?

Also, I can see the unrendered code if I hover over the math, right click, and select ShowMathAs->Tex

Thanks,
KQ6UP

Physics news on Phys.org
Perfect, thanks.

KQ6UP

1. What is an Equation Array?

An Equation Array is a collection of equations that are organized in a matrix-like structure. It is commonly used in mathematics and physics to represent a system of equations or to solve for multiple variables simultaneously.

2. How do I create an Equation Array?

To create an Equation Array, you will need to use a specialized equation editor or software program. This will allow you to input the equations and organize them in a matrix format. Alternatively, you can also create an Equation Array manually using a table or grid.

3. How do I solve an Equation Array?

Solving an Equation Array involves using various mathematical techniques such as substitution, elimination, or matrix operations. The specific method will depend on the type of equations and the number of variables. It is best to consult a math or physics textbook for detailed instructions on solving an Equation Array.

4. Can an Equation Array have an infinite number of solutions?

Yes, it is possible for an Equation Array to have an infinite number of solutions. This occurs when the equations are dependent on each other, meaning that one equation can be derived from the other. In this case, there are multiple combinations of values that can satisfy the equations.

5. What are some common applications of Equation Arrays?

Equation Arrays are commonly used in scientific fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. They are particularly useful in solving systems of linear equations, optimizing functions, and representing complex relationships between variables. They are also used in computer programming and data analysis to model and solve mathematical problems.