How Can I Extend Battery Life in Classroom Electromagnet Experiments?

In summary, Dave is working on an electromagnet experiment with his 8th grade students. He has been given an experiment where they build a basic electromagnet with an iron bolt, enameled wire and a 6V Alkaline Battery. The goal is to test the strength by picking up BB's, Paperclips, or small washers. However, the battery drains extremely fast. He has found a way to prevent this from happening by changing things such as the magnet's wire diameter, resistor, or battery type. He also recommends a power supply, but warns that the classroom may overheat the wire if a battery is not used.
teckard
I am currently working on and electromagnet experiment with my 8th grade students. I have been given an experiment where we build a basic electromagnet with an iron bolt, enameled wire and a 6V Alkaline Battery, (lantern battery). The goal is to test the strength by picking up BB's, Paperclips, or small washers. My problem is the battery drains extremely fast. What can I change to prevent this from happening. I've can't continue to spend the money out of pocket for all these batteries, but the students love this experiment. Please help.

Engineering news on Phys.org
As you likely know, the strength of the magnet depends on how much current flows. You can go with a weaker magnet. To limit the current flow place a small value resistor (Perhaps 20Ω?) in series.

Another option is to use more turns of the wire. More turns will multiply the current's effect (turns2) while increasing the parasitic resistance.

You might also consider a rechargeable battery. These are somewhat pricey, but cheaper than lots of disposables. Also consider a battery holder from Radio Shack and perhaps 4 D cells. (Make sure you use the resistor; otherwise the lower resistance of the D cell could start a fire.) D cells carry more energy for the buck than 9V batteries, but it takes about 6 in series to get 9V. (4 will give 6V nominal and should work for a magnet.)

Whatever you use, test your setup first in a safe place.

Likes davenn
lots of great suggestions from Jeff :smile:

The other thing you should really consider is a decent variably voltage and current PSU for the classroom
and do away with the batteries completely

here's some suggestions from eBay, probably fin them on Amazon as well

http://www.ebay.com.au/sch/i.html?_nkw=variable+power+supplycheers
Dave

teckard said:
I am currently working on and electromagnet experiment with my 8th grade students. I have been given an experiment where we build a basic electromagnet with an iron bolt, enameled wire and a 6V Alkaline Battery, (lantern battery). The goal is to test the strength by picking up BB's, Paperclips, or small washers. My problem is the battery drains extremely fast. What can I change to prevent this from happening. I've can't continue to spend the money out of pocket for all these batteries, but the students love this experiment. Please help.
I find it works with a small diameter nail, a metre of wire and a 1.5 volt cell. To make a good magnet, wind tightly at one end of the nail. I also temper the nails so the iron is "soft". To reduce expense, tell them to only connect for a moment, or make the circuit with a push switch in it. A power supply is not really the answer because the pupils will over heat the wire.

teckard said:
My problem is the battery drains extremely fast. What can I change to prevent this from happening.
It's a shame that bicycles no longer come equipped with a dynamo, or you could be powering each solenoid from a stationary bike peddled furiously. :cool:

Need a diode, or four, to convert the dynamo's AC to direct current, but thereafter it's free energy!

NascentOxygen said:
It's a shame that bicycles no longer come equipped with a dynamo, or you could be powering each solenoid from a stationary bike peddled furiously. :cool:

Need a diode, or four, to convert the dynamo's AC to direct current, but thereafter it's free energy!
Why do you want DC? AC operates just the same.

tech99 said:
Why do you want DC? AC operates just the same.
Not exactly the same. AC won't give as good a deflection of a compass needle.

While AC may suffice, for an introductory treatment it may be desirable that one end of the electromagnet be identifiable as north so direct similarities can be drawn to an ordinary magnet.

I've run into similar problems with my capstone project, look into lithium batteries. I've found some that can handle high currents for a decent amount of time. Like stated previously your only other option is to get more turns because the magnetic field is proportional to either the current or the number of turns. Also keep in mind that the more turns you have the higher your resistance will be which may decrease current. In my case the increased resistance was negligible.

ImageUploadedByPhysics Forums1459057983.625165.jpg

I used to use one if these for electronics projects, it was really helpful. No need for batteries. The downside would be the limit current in the device.

mathwhiz said:
look into lithium batteries. I've found some that can handle high currents for a decent amount of time
on the face of it, they are attractive but they need to be operated correctly, with a regulator circuit, or they can explode due to over-current. If you are in education then your power supplies have to be totally kosher (as your risk analysis advice should have warned you when you were training). You just do not need any form of accident with kids. It really spoils your day.
Lead acid batteries behave better and (as long as they are appropriately fused) will not let you down.
Lab power supplies, with variable output voltage, are available and are more 'acceptable' for use in Schools. Cost a few tens of GBP or USD each. More than cheapo mains adaptors but better suited to your requirement, being safe and robust.

What is an electromagnet?

An electromagnet is a type of magnet that is created when an electric current flows through a wire, producing a magnetic field. Unlike permanent magnets, electromagnets can be turned on and off by controlling the flow of electricity.

What materials are needed to make a basic electromagnet?

To make a basic electromagnet, you will need a battery, a wire, and a ferromagnetic material such as iron or steel. The wire should be insulated and the ferromagnetic material should be in the shape of a bar or a nail.

What factors affect the strength of an electromagnet?

The strength of an electromagnet can be affected by several factors, including the number of turns in the wire, the amount of electric current flowing through the wire, and the type of ferromagnetic material used. Increasing any of these factors will result in a stronger electromagnet.

How can I increase the strength of my electromagnet?

To increase the strength of your electromagnet, you can add more turns to the wire, increase the amount of current flowing through the wire, or use a stronger ferromagnetic material. You can also create a coil by wrapping the wire around a ferromagnetic core, which will further enhance the magnetic field.

What are some practical applications of electromagnets?

Electromagnets have many practical applications, including use in motors, generators, speakers, and doorbells. They are also used in medical devices such as MRI machines and in industrial processes for lifting and separating materials. Electromagnetism is also essential in the transmission and distribution of electricity.