Help with contour plots of effective potential in R3BP.

In summary, the speaker is trying to plot the effective potential for the Sun-Jupiter system in a specific unit system. However, their contour plot does not match their expectations and they are seeking advice or help from someone who may be able to point out any mistakes they may have made. They also mention that due to the small mass of Jupiter compared to the Sun, the Lagrange points may be difficult to see on a contour plot and suggest looking at Wikipedia for formulas on estimating their locations. The speaker has also tried plotting the expression on Mathematica and had to zoom in and adjust parameters to see the contours near the Lagrange points. They mention that the plot will not look exactly like the figure they posted from the website.
Hjortlund
Hello everyone! I'm currently trying to plot the effective potential for Sun-Jupiter system, to show the lagrangian points in this system. I've converted to a system of units where G=1, m_sun+m_jupiter=1 and R=1, whereby I get the following equation describing the effective potential of a third mass m in the system:

U(x,y)=-1 * 0.999047/abs(sqrt((x-(-0.000953))^2 +y^2 ))-1 * 0.000953/abs(sqrt((x-0.999047)^2 +y^2 ))

However, when I plot this in Maple, I don't get a contour plot that matches up with what I would expect
2000px-Lagrange_points2.svg.png

, but this.
oZLE3gV.png

Is there possibly anyone here who could point out a mistake I've done, or give me some advice? Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

I believe you are plotting the correct expression. But because the mass of Jupiter is much smaller than the mass of the sun, the Lagrange points are difficult to see on a contour plot. The Wikipedia site https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lagrangian_point has some formulas for estimating where the points are located when one mass is much smaller than the other.

I tried a contour plot of your expression on Mathematica and I had to do quite a bit of playing around with the plotting parameters to see the contours near the Lagrange points. In particular, I had to zoom in on L3 and L4 and plot just a small region around the Lagrange points. I have not been able to get one plot that shows all the Lagrange points. Don't expect to get a plot that looks like the figure that you posted from the web site.

[EDIT: If you can "hand pick"" the value of each contour line, then you can get a pretty decent plot that shows all of the Lagrange points. Each contour line needs to be plotted with a sufficiently large number of points to get fairly smooth looking lines.]

Last edited:

1. What is a contour plot of effective potential in R3BP?

A contour plot of effective potential in R3BP (Restricted Three-Body Problem) is a graphical representation of the potential energy of a small object moving in the gravitational field of two larger objects, such as a planet and its moon. It shows regions of different potential energy levels, with lines connecting points of equal potential energy.

2. How is a contour plot of effective potential in R3BP calculated?

A contour plot of effective potential in R3BP is calculated by using the formula for effective potential energy, which takes into account the gravitational potential energy of both the larger objects and the centrifugal force of the small object. This formula is then plotted in three dimensions to create a visual representation of the potential energy levels.

3. What information can be obtained from a contour plot of effective potential in R3BP?

A contour plot of effective potential in R3BP can provide information about the stability of orbits in a system, as well as the locations of Lagrange points (points where the gravitational forces of the two larger objects and the centrifugal force of the small object are balanced). It can also show the shape and size of the potential energy wells created by the larger objects, which can help in predicting the motion of the small object.

4. How is a contour plot of effective potential in R3BP useful in space mission planning?

A contour plot of effective potential in R3BP is useful in space mission planning as it can help in identifying ideal trajectories and orbits for space probes and satellites. It can also assist in avoiding unstable regions and predicting the motion of objects in the system, which is crucial for successful mission planning.

5. Are there any limitations or assumptions in using a contour plot of effective potential in R3BP?

Yes, there are limitations and assumptions in using a contour plot of effective potential in R3BP. This plot assumes that the larger objects are fixed in space and do not interact with each other, and that the small object has negligible mass compared to the larger objects. It also does not take into account other forces, such as solar radiation pressure or atmospheric drag, which may affect the motion of the small object.