1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help with contour plots of effective potential in R3BP.

1. Dec 19, 2015 #1
    Hello everyone! I'm currently trying to plot the effective potential for Sun-Jupiter system, to show the lagrangian points in this system. I've converted to a system of units where G=1, m_sun+m_jupiter=1 and R=1, whereby I get the following equation describing the effective potential of a third mass m in the system:

U(x,y)=-1 * 0.999047/abs(sqrt((x-(-0.000953))^2 +y^2 ))-1 * 0.000953/abs(sqrt((x-0.999047)^2 +y^2 ))

However, when I plot this in Maple, I don't get a contour plot that matches up with what I would expect 2000px-Lagrange_points2.svg.png
    , but this.
    oZLE3gV.png
    Is there possibly anyone here who could point out a mistake I've done, or give me some advice? Thanks in advance!

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 19, 2015 #2

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Welcome to PF!

I believe you are plotting the correct expression. But because the mass of Jupiter is much smaller than the mass of the sun, the Lagrange points are difficult to see on a contour plot. The Wikipedia site https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lagrangian_point has some formulas for estimating where the points are located when one mass is much smaller than the other.

I tried a contour plot of your expression on Mathematica and I had to do quite a bit of playing around with the plotting parameters to see the contours near the Lagrange points. In particular, I had to zoom in on L3 and L4 and plot just a small region around the Lagrange points. I have not been able to get one plot that shows all the Lagrange points. Don't expect to get a plot that looks like the figure that you posted from the web site.

[EDIT: If you can "hand pick"" the value of each contour line, then you can get a pretty decent plot that shows all of the Lagrange points. Each contour line needs to be plotted with a sufficiently large number of points to get fairly smooth looking lines.]

Last edited: Dec 19, 2015
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted