Help with coordinate transformations

In summary, the magnetic field B is not really a vector. It is part of a two-tensor called the field strength tensor. Rotation does actually give rise to magnetic field.
frogster

Homework Statement

I'm having trouble understanding coordinate transformations for vector fields. There are two 'coordinate pieces', the coordinates pieces of the vector at a point changes, and the function describing the field can also be rewritten in terms of the new coordinates. I'm having trouble being precise enough in my math to understand this. Precision is the key. So please be as pedantic as you want.

Here's an example for us to work on --
In electrodynamics, given the vector potential [itex]\vec{A}[/itex], the magnetic field is defined as:
[tex]\vec{B} = \nabla \times \vec{A}[/tex]
In coordinate system number S we have
[tex]A_x=x,A_y=0,A_z=0[/tex]
In coordinate system S', related to S by a rotation about the Z-axis. What is B? Also calculate A, and determine B this way as well.

Homework Equations

[tex]\vec{B} = \nabla \times \vec{A}[/tex]
To change coordinate systems by rotating about the z-axis.
[tex]x' = \cos(\theta) x - \sin(\theta) y[/tex]
[tex]y' = \sin(\theta) x + \cos(\theta) y[/tex]
And the inverse is just
[tex]x = \cos(\theta) x' + \sin(\theta) y'[/tex]
[tex]y = -\sin(\theta) x' + \cos(\theta) y'[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

In coordinate system S, we have
[tex] \vec{B} = \nabla \times \vec{A} = 0[/tex]
rotating this vector just trivially gives in S'
[tex] \vec{B'} = 0[/tex]
Now to trying to rotate A
[tex]A'_{x'} = \cos(\theta) x,\ A'_{y'} = - \sin(\theta) x,\ A'_{z'} = 0[/tex]
[tex]A'_{x'} = \cos(\theta) (\cos(\theta)x' + \sin(\theta)y'),\ A'_{y'} = - \sin(\theta) (\cos(\theta)x' + \sin(\theta)y'),\ A'_{z'} = 0[/tex]
But now we have
[tex]B'_{x'}=0,\ B'_{y'}=0,\ B'_{z'}=\frac{\partial}{\partial x'} A'_{y'} - \frac{\partial}{\partial y'} A'_{x'} \neq 0[/tex]
[tex]\vec{B'} \neq 0[/tex]
This disagrees with above, and clearly a magnetic field shouldn't suddenly appear just because I rotated my coordinate system, so I must be doing something wrong.

Physics news on Phys.org
What you have done is right! You have stumbled upon the fact that the magnetic field B is not really a vector. It is part of a two-tensor called the field strength tensor. Rotation does actually give rise to magnetic field.

praharmitra said:
What you have done is right! You have stumbled upon the fact that the magnetic field B is not really a vector. It is part of a two-tensor called the field strength tensor. Rotation does actually give rise to magnetic field.

It does most emphatically NOT! A is a vector. You should have rotated A just like you rotated the coordinates. A_x'=cos(theta)*A_x and A_y'=sin(theta)*A_x. You have a sign mistake. You don't start mixing electric and magnetic fields until you start doing special relativity with boosts. A rotation won't do it.

Last edited:
Dick said:
You have a sign mistake.
Doh! It seems so obvious now.

Thanks. I always have trouble finding factors of two and sign errors. Sometimes if I take a break and then work out the problem from scratch, I can fix the errors, but for some reason I can never find them staring at the math ... like my brain skips over it because it "knew what I meant" or something. I have the same problem with spelling mistakes in essays.

Besides just reworking the problem, do you guys have any suggestions from experience for how to find sign errors? Thanks.

What is a coordinate transformation?

A coordinate transformation is a mathematical process used to convert coordinates from one reference system to another. It involves changing the scale, orientation, and position of a set of coordinates to align with a different reference system.

Why do we need coordinate transformations in science?

Coordinate transformations are essential in science because they allow us to accurately compare measurements and data collected from different reference systems. This is especially important in fields such as geography, astronomy, and physics, where precise measurements and calculations are crucial.

What are some common coordinate systems used in science?

Some common coordinate systems used in science include Cartesian coordinates, polar coordinates, geographic coordinates (latitude and longitude), and celestial coordinates (right ascension and declination). There are also more specialized systems, such as cylindrical and spherical coordinates, used in specific fields of science.

How do I perform a coordinate transformation?

The specific method for performing a coordinate transformation will depend on the type of coordinates and reference systems involved. In general, it involves using mathematical equations or algorithms to convert the coordinates from one system to another. There are also many online tools and software programs available to assist with coordinate transformations.

What are some potential challenges with coordinate transformations?

One challenge with coordinate transformations is ensuring that all necessary data and parameters are accurately accounted for in the transformation process. Another challenge is choosing the most appropriate coordinate system and transformation method for a specific application. Additionally, rounding errors and other computational issues can sometimes affect the accuracy of the transformed coordinates.