Help with determining if a series is convergent or divergent question (1 Viewer)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Problem is attached in this post.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I know how to find the sum of this series, but I don't know what method to use in order to prove that this series converges. Also I don't understand how I'm supposed to tell as to whether or not this is a geometric series.

Attachments

Dick

Science Advisor
Homework Helper
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I know how to find the sum of this series, but I don't know what method to use in order to prove that this series converges. Also I don't understand how I'm supposed to tell as to whether or not this is a geometric series.
It's not geometric because the ratio of consecutive terms isn't a constant, but that ratio does approach a limit. Is that enough of a clue?

It's not geometric because the ratio of consecutive terms isn't a constant, but that ratio does approach a limit. Is that enough of a clue?
Would the limit have to be 0 for the series to convergent?

Lim (3^n + 4^n)/(7^n) n -> ∞ = 0 For the series to be convergent? (I actually tried this, but can't seem to find a method to solve for such a limit).

Last edited:

Dick

Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Would the limit have to be 0 for the series to convergent?

Lim (3^x + 4^x)/(7^x) n -> ∞ = 0 For the series to be convergent? (I actually tried this, but can't seem to find a method to solve for such a limit).
You mean Lim (3^n + 4^n)/(7^n) n -> ∞ = 0. You should be able to. Divide numerator and denominator by 7^n. But that's not what I'm talking about. I'm talking about the ratio ##\frac{a_{n+1}}{a_n}##.

The Physics Forums Way

We Value Quality
• Topics based on mainstream science
• Proper English grammar and spelling
We Value Civility
• Positive and compassionate attitudes
• Patience while debating
We Value Productivity
• Disciplined to remain on-topic
• Recognition of own weaknesses
• Solo and co-op problem solving