1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help with determining if a series is convergent or divergent question

1. Apr 3, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Problem is attached in this post.

2. Relevant equations

Problem is attached in this post.

3. The attempt at a solution

I know how to find the sum of this series, but I don't know what method to use in order to prove that this series converges. Also I don't understand how I'm supposed to tell as to whether or not this is a geometric series.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 3, 2014 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It's not geometric because the ratio of consecutive terms isn't a constant, but that ratio does approach a limit. Is that enough of a clue?

4. Apr 3, 2014 #3
    Would the limit have to be 0 for the series to convergent?

Lim (3^n + 4^n)/(7^n) n -> ∞ = 0 For the series to be convergent? (I actually tried this, but can't seem to find a method to solve for such a limit).

Last edited: Apr 3, 2014
  5. Apr 3, 2014 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You mean Lim (3^n + 4^n)/(7^n) n -> ∞ = 0. You should be able to. Divide numerator and denominator by 7^n. But that's not what I'm talking about. I'm talking about the ratio ##\frac{a_{n+1}}{a_n}##.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted