Solving Deviation Questions: +8 or -8?

• Thread starter kevweb
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about a question regarding statistics exam scores and how they are reported. The options given are A) cannot determine without more information, B) +8, C) 0, and D) -8. The person asking the question is also advised to show their attempt and use a provided template when posting on the forum. They also mention removing themselves from the forum, but are told they cannot and are encouraged to show their work for help.
kevweb
Can anybody tell me how to solve or solve it?

Scores from a statistics exam are reported as deviation (difference from the mean) scores. Which of the following deviation scores indicates that the student has a higher position in the class distribution?

A). cannot determine without more information
B). +8
C). 0
D). -8

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to Physics Forums! :wink:
Show your attempt first.Also use the template provided when posting.So that we can know your exact problem.
Please read the PF Rules.

Last edited:
I guest I remove myself from this forum

kevweb said:
I guest I remove myself from this forum
You can't. :-p

Anyway,Show a line of your work and we will help you.

FAQ: Solving Deviation Questions: +8 or -8?

What is the definition of deviation?

Deviation, in the context of statistics, refers to the amount by which a data point differs from the mean or average of a data set. It is a measure of how spread out the data is from the average.

How do you solve for deviation using +8 or -8?

To solve for deviation using +8 or -8, you would first need to find the mean or average of the data set. Then, you would subtract each data point from the mean, taking into account whether the data point is below or above the mean. Finally, you would divide the sum of these differences by the total number of data points to find the average deviation.

What is the difference between positive and negative deviation?

Positive deviation occurs when a data point is above the mean, while negative deviation occurs when a data point is below the mean. In both cases, the deviation is measured as the distance from the data point to the mean.

Why is it important to calculate deviation?

Calculating deviation allows us to understand how spread out a data set is from the average. It provides valuable information about the variability of the data and can help identify outliers or unusual data points.

What are some real-world applications of calculating deviation?

Calculating deviation is used in various fields such as finance, engineering, and science. It is often used to assess risk, analyze trends, and make predictions based on data. For example, in finance, deviation is used to measure the volatility of stock prices, while in engineering, it is used to ensure the quality and consistency of products. In science, deviation is used to evaluate the accuracy of experimental data.