1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Relationship Between Conductance and the Dielectric Constant

1. Jun 5, 2013 #1
    Hello all,
    I'm new to the forum so I hope I'm posting this in the correct section.
    I'm currently conducting an experiment in which I'm examining how the dielectric constant of a binary mixture changes with concentration and temperature using a parallel plate capacitor for measurements. The only problem, however is that the multimeter I'm using doesn't measure capacitance. Here's what I can measure:
    • DC volts
    • AC volts
    • DC current
    • AC current
    • Resistance
    • Temperature
    • Frequency

My advisor for this project initially suggested that I find the conductance (or conductivity?) in order to calculate the dielectric constant, however I've searched and searched but I can't seem to find a way to relate the two.
    Here's what I got so far.
    I know that conductivity can be used to calculate the imaginary part of the dielectric constant
    [tex]\kappa=\epsilon'+j\epsilon''[/tex]
    [tex]\kappa=\epsilon'+j\sigma/\omega[/tex]
    where [itex]\kappa[/itex] is the dielectric constant, [itex]\sigma[/itex] is the conductivity and [itex]\omega[/itex] is the frequency.
    but I'm not sure how I would find the real part [itex]\epsilon'[/itex]in order to get [itex]\kappa[/itex]
    I've also got the equations
    [tex]C=Q/V[/tex]
    [tex]C=\kappa\epsilon_{0}\frac{A}{d}[/tex] where [itex]\epsilon_{0}[/itex] is the vacuum permittivity, [itex]A[/itex] is the area of the plate and [itex]d[/itex] is the distance between the plates.
    Then for conductivity,
    [tex]J=\sigma E[/tex]
    [tex]G=\sigma\frac{A}{d}[/tex]
    where [itex]J[/itex] is the current density and [itex]G[/itex] is the conductance
    and so relating the two
    [tex]C=\kappa\epsilon_{0}\frac{G}{\sigma}[/tex]
    but that still leaves me with two unknowns, [itex]C[/itex] and [itex]\kappa[/itex]
    I feel like there's a really simple, really obvious solution that I'm just not seeing...
    Can anybody help me out?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 5, 2013 #2
    Welcome

Given AC volts and AC current, you can get impedance. From that you can get capacitance.

Is you AC source variable in frequency?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook