Help with electric field problem- Yr 12 physics

In summary: Initially, the proton has kinetic energy ##K_i = \frac{1}{2}mv_i^2## and no potential energy ##U_i = 0##. Finally, the proton has kinetic energy ##K_f = \frac{1}{2}mv_f^2## and potential energy ##U_f = qV##, where ##V## is the potential difference between the anode and cathode. Setting these equal and solving for ##V## gives the desired result of 100 000 V/m.In summary, by using the conservation of energy equation, it can be shown that the strength of the electric field in this scenario is 100 000 V/m. This takes into account the initial kinetic energy of the proton
JenL

Homework Statement

Protons are accelerated by an electric field passing through a hole in the anode and accelerated towards the cathode (to the right)
A proton passes through the anode at 6.2 × 105 m s–1, and passes through the cathode at 8.8 × 105 m s–1. Show that the strength of the electric field is 100 000 V m–1.

Homework Equations

Ek= 1/2mv^2 and Ep=Eqd

The Attempt at a Solution

Usually we get problems like this when the charged particle is forced to the plate with the same charge thus it gains electric potential. Then the charged particle is released and accelerates towards the plate with the opposite charge so electric potential lost= kinetic energy gained when particle reaches the other plate.
But for this question Ep(lost)=Ek(gained) doesn't seem to apply.
I thought it might be Ep at anode was Ek but I'm kinda confused.

Physics news on Phys.org
JenL said:

Homework Statement

Protons are accelerated by an electric field passing through a hole in the anode and accelerated towards the cathode (to the right)
A proton passes through the anode at 6.2 × 105 m s–1, and passes through the cathode at 8.8 × 105 m s–1. Show that the strength of the electric field is 100 000 V m–1.

Homework Equations

Ek= 1/2mv^2 and Ep=Eqd

The Attempt at a Solution

Usually we get problems like this when the charged particle is forced to the plate with the same charge thus it gains electric potential. Then the charged particle is released and accelerates towards the plate with the opposite charge so electric potential lost= kinetic energy gained when particle reaches the other plate.
But for this question Ep(lost)=Ek(gained) doesn't seem to apply.
Why not?

I thought it might be Ep at anode was Ek but I'm kinda confused.
The difference in this problem seems to be that the proton has an initial kinetic energy. Is that what's confusing you?

Yes it is the initial kinetic energy that is confusing me.
I tried to work it out but the Ep at the anode was less than the Ek gained at the cathode. I know I need to take into consider the initial Ek but I don't understand how it would work.

Anodes are positive and cathodes are negative. So the particles travel from high VA to lower VC, losing potential anergy and gaining (kinetic) energy to the tune of q##\Delta##V = q(VA - VB). Both factors are positive.

A simple energy balance suffices to extract VA - VB

JenL said:
Yes it is the initial kinetic energy that is confusing me.
I tried to work it out but the Ep at the anode was less than the Ek gained at the cathode. I know I need to take into consider the initial Ek but I don't understand how it would work.
It's just conservation of energy: ##K_i + U_i = K_f + U_f##, where ##U## is the electric potential energy (not electric potential).

1. What is an electric field?

An electric field is a region in space around a charged object where another charged object experiences a force. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction.

2. How do I calculate the electric field?

The electric field can be calculated using the equation E = F/q, where E is the electric field, F is the force exerted on the charged object and q is the magnitude of the charge on the object. Alternatively, it can also be calculated using the equation E = kQ/r², where k is the Coulomb's constant, Q is the magnitude of the charge on the object creating the field, and r is the distance between the two objects.

3. What is the SI unit for electric field?

The SI unit for electric field is Newtons per Coulomb (N/C).

4. How does distance affect the electric field?

The electric field is inversely proportional to the square of the distance between the two charged objects. This means that as the distance increases, the electric field decreases.

5. What are some real-life applications of electric fields?

Electric fields have many applications in our daily lives, such as in electronic devices like smartphones and computers, in power transmission systems, and in medical equipment like MRI machines. They are also used in particle accelerators, telecommunication systems, and in various industrial processes.