1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help, with finding electron radius for a given condition

1. Oct 12, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A classical view of the electron pictures it as a purely electric entity, whose Einstein rest mass energy,E = mc^2 is the energy stored in its electric field.

If the electron were a sphere with charge distributed uniformly over its surface, what radius would it have in order to satisfy this condition? Note: Your answer for the electron's "size" isn't consistent with modern quantum mechanics or with experiments that suggest the electron is a true point particle.

Equations :

E = mc^2
    F = qE
    F = ma
    E_sphere = Q/ (2*pi*r*epsilon_0);
    U = 1/2CV^2
    U = qV

I am not sure what to equate with E = mc^2 ?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 12, 2009 #2

Delphi51

Homework Helper

Do you know calculus? If so you could calculate the work needed to move charge dq in from infinity to the sphere that already has charge q against the electric force repelling dq from q. Then you could integrate that to find the total work done in bringing charge q together. I think it will be W = Q^2/(4*pi*epsilon*r). This is what you set equal to m*c^2.

4. Oct 12, 2009 #3
    If I do that then :

r = ke^2 / (m * c^2 );

r = 2.8 fm

But its not correct.

5. Oct 12, 2009 #4

Delphi51

Homework Helper

6. Oct 12, 2009 #5
    So the answer seems to be right according to wiki, but masteringPhysics, my online h.w
    is not accepting it.

The answer should be in form ____ fm, but its not correct? Any ideas.

7. Oct 13, 2009 #6
    Anyone got a clue ?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook