Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help with frequency response of guitar tone circuit

1. Mar 29, 2006 #1
    The circuit of interest is the basic circuit for a Fender Stratocaster guitar. A diagram can be found at http://www.seymourduncan.com/support/schematics/S_1singlecoil_1vol_1tone.html . Basically an electric guitar works by vibrating a metal string in a magnetic field. This in turn causes a current to be generated in the an inductor that is wrapped around the magnet.

What I'm trying to do is find the frequency response of this circuit. Whenever I try to calculate the transfer function for this circuit I get

[tex]TF = 1[/tex].

When I try to calculate the total impedance for this circuit I get

[tex]Z_{total} = \frac{Z_{1}Z_{2}}{Z_{1}+Z_{2}} = \frac{(R_{1} - j\frac{1}{\omega C})R_{2}}{R_{1}-j \frac{1}{\omega C}+R_{2}}[/tex]

where
    [tex]Z_{1} = R_{1} - j \omega C[/tex] and [tex]Z_{2} = R_{2}[/tex].

To find the transfer function I calculate

[tex]TF = \frac{V_{in}}{V_{out}} = 1[/tex].

This is obviously incorrect, but I don't know where my mistake is. Is my diagram correct?

Last edited: Mar 29, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 29, 2006 #2
    My post is a litle confusing. I had an ACII diagram, but it did not get rendered the way I wnated it to. R2 is the volume pot, and R1 is the tone pot.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?