1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Courses Help with High school courses

1. Sep 13, 2009 #1
    My son is a sophomore this year and his counselor put him in a Trig. class this year and a pre-calc class. Is this normal to take both classes at the same time? and with 2 different teachers who teach differently? Help. thanks. He has already taken Alg. I and II and Geom.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 13, 2009 #2

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Usually trig is taken before pre-calc. I'd recommend talking directly to the two math teachers about whether this makes sense. They may not be aware of the other classes your son is taking to notice a potential problem. Or, they may be able to assure you that the sequence at that school doesn't matter as much as in others because of the content of their classes.

4. Sep 13, 2009 #3

thrill3rnit3

Gold Member

In my high school, trigonometry is a 1 semester course, while the trig "review" done in precalculus in usually during the 2nd semester. The 1st semester topics on precalculus doesn't really require trigonometry. So other students take it concurrently, trigonometry for the 1st semester, and precalculus for the full year.

There is also another option where students take trigonometry 1st sem, and they take a class called Math Analysis (pre calc minus the trig) during the 2nd semester, both semester-long classes.

5. Sep 13, 2009 #4
    A lot of schools don't even teach a trigonometry class it's simply integrated into the pre-calculus class, so it probably wont make much of a difference. Chances are by the time you son needs any trig in pre-calculus he will all ready have all the information.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook