Help with implicit euler method

In summary, the backward euler solution for the problem discussed involves the equation y(t+h)=y(t)+h*y'(t+h), and when y'(t)=-y(t), this becomes y(t+h)=y(t)-h*y(t+h) or y(t+h)=y(t)/(1+h). The correct solution is y(t+2)=y(t)/(1+2h), or better yet ##y(t+2)=\frac {y(t)}{3}## with h=2. However, there was a mistake in the original equation where f(y,t+h) was incorrectly stated as y(t+2) instead of y(t+h). Chet's response clarifies this mistake and provides the correct solution.
porcupineman23
Hey
I don't understand this backward euler solution, in particular why the f(y,t+h) is equal to y(t+2)

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    39.6 KB · Views: 557
Physics news on Phys.org
porcupineman23 said:
Hey
I don't understand this backward euler solution, in particular why the f(y,t+h) is equal to y(t+2)
Because it's wrong.

It should be:

y(t+2)=y(t)+y'(t+2)h

Since, in this problem y'=-y, you have:

y(t+2)=y(t)-y(t+2)h

Solving for y(t+2) gives:
[tex]y(t+2)=\frac{y(t)}{1+2h}[/tex]
Chet

Chestermiller said:
Because it's wrong.
I agree with you there!

It should be:

y(t+2)=y(t)+y'(t+2)h
Actually, it should be y(t+h)=y(t)+h*y'(t+h). Given that y'(t)=-y(t), this becomes y(t+h)=y(t)-h*y(t+h), or y(t+h)=y(t)/(1+h).

Solving for y(t+2) gives:
[tex]y(t+2)=\frac{y(t)}{1+2h}[/tex]
Chet
Better: ##y(t+2)=\frac {y(t)}{3}##.

You've already set h=2.

D H said:
I agree with you there!

Actually, it should be y(t+h)=y(t)+h*y'(t+h). Given that y'(t)=-y(t), this becomes y(t+h)=y(t)-h*y(t+h), or y(t+h)=y(t)/(1+h).

Better: ##y(t+2)=\frac {y(t)}{3}##.

You've already set h=2.
Thanks DH. I'm usually more careful about checking over what I've written before I submit my replies. I hope I didn't confuse the OP too much.

Chet

Hello,

The implicit Euler method is a numerical approach used to solve differential equations. It involves using a backward difference approximation to estimate the solution at a future time point, instead of using a forward difference approximation like in the explicit Euler method.

In the implicit Euler method, the function value at the next time point, y(t+h), is calculated using the function value at the current time point, y(t), and the derivative of the function evaluated at the next time point, f(y,t+h). This is why f(y,t+h) is equal to y(t+2) - it represents the derivative of the function at the next time point.

I hope this helps to clarify the concept of the implicit Euler method. If you have any further questions, please let me know.

1. What is the implicit Euler method?

The implicit Euler method is a numerical integration technique used to solve ordinary differential equations. It is a first-order method, meaning that the error decreases linearly with the step size. Unlike the explicit Euler method, it uses the function evaluations at the endpoints of each time step to approximate the solution, making it more stable for stiff systems.

2. How is the implicit Euler method used?

The implicit Euler method is used by first discretizing the continuous time domain into smaller time steps. Then, the differential equation is rewritten in terms of the solution at the end of the time step, instead of the beginning. This results in a nonlinear equation that can be solved iteratively using numerical methods, such as the Newton-Raphson method, to find the solution at the next time step.

3. What are the advantages of using the implicit Euler method?

There are a few advantages of using the implicit Euler method. Firstly, it is more stable for stiff systems, meaning that it can handle equations with large changes in the solution over small time intervals. Secondly, it is unconditionally stable, meaning that the step size can be chosen arbitrarily without causing the solution to blow up. Lastly, it is relatively simple to implement and can be easily adapted to handle a wide range of differential equations.

4. Are there any drawbacks to using the implicit Euler method?

While the implicit Euler method has many advantages, there are also some drawbacks to consider. One of the main drawbacks is that it is a first-order method, meaning that it converges to the exact solution at a slower rate compared to higher-order methods. This can lead to a larger number of time steps needed to reach a certain level of accuracy. Additionally, the iterative nature of the method can make it computationally expensive for large systems of equations.

5. When should I use the implicit Euler method?

The implicit Euler method is a good choice for solving stiff systems of ordinary differential equations, where the explicit Euler method may fail due to instability. It is also useful when the exact solution is not known or cannot be easily calculated. However, it may not be the best choice for problems with fine time scales or when higher accuracy is required, as other numerical methods may be more efficient in these cases.