Help with IntegralS Very Important Quick

In summary, I'm poor student from Ukraine. I'm writing you because you are my last hope. I need to do homework for Monday-Tuesday. I have a problem because I was ill and I couldn't do my homework during the lessons about integration. I found www.cal101.com But it only gave me results for money functions. I found www.calc101.com But it said that I needed to do a function step-by-step and that I couldn't use calculus. I found www.uwmath.com But it said that I needed to know the integration by substitution method. But I've never been able to do that.
Student from UA
Hi! I`m poor student from Ukraine! I`m writing u becouse u are my last chans!
So I need to do homewofk for monday-tuesday. I have problem becouse i was ill and siting at home during lessons about integration! Sorry for My bad English, but i hope u understad.
So i have 10 integrals! At first i search in intarnet some calcus. I found www.cal101.com But it give me only result. Function step by step only for money! But i haven`t! what i must do? =( Thanks God and Google I find U.
I hope u help me becouse it`s very very important to me.
So 10 integrals(all indefine):
1) (2*(x^(1/3))+3*x*(x^(1/2)))/(x^(1/4))
2) ((x^3+1)^(1/4))*(x^2)
3) (1-2*sinx)/(cosx^2)
4) 2^(x/2)
5) dx/((4-x^2)^(1/2))
6) tg(x^(1/2))*(dx/x^(1/2))
7) dx/((4+x^2)^(1/2))
8) (sin(x/2))^2
9) lnx/(x^(1/2))
10) (1-3x)cos2x
They are in Attach Files!

Attachments

• 230120067512.jpg
    230120067512.jpg
    22.6 KB · Views: 442
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi and welcome to the forums. Firstly please note that the forum rules state that you must show some work before we can help. What do you know about integration? Have you had a go at any of the questions?

Also, in future, please note that we have homework forums specifically for these type of question.

cristo said:
Hi and welcome to the forums. Firstly please note that the forum rules state that you must show some work before we can help. What do you know about integration? Have you had a go at any of the questions?

Also, in future, please note that we have homework forums specifically for these type of question.

I agree with u, - I must do homework not u. I`ve just start so in atach u can see 1 an 2 . But i think it isn`t right/

Attachments

• 23012006753.jpg
    23012006753.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 446
1. [tex]x\sqrt{x}=x\cdot x^{1/2}=x^{3/2}[/tex]

2. Your technique is incorrect. Have you come across integration by substitution? Try the substitution y=x^3+1

U know if i weren`t ill all 2 week, i do home work well. I`m have good marks 87 of 100. I have never ask people to help me in algebra.. butt know. very X situation. I haven`t free time to learn intaegrals, becouse now i do years work in Descrete Mathematic. =( Next week i must to complete. Thanks God with Descrete mathematica i`m good.

cristo said:
1. [tex]x\sqrt{x}=x\cdot x^{1/2}=x^{3/2}[/tex]

2. Your technique is incorrect. Have you come across integration by substitution? Try the substitution y=x^3+1

O fu... Really. It`s child mistake... Oh... Sorry. Hm . I`m trying again.

Ok. Don't worry, and don't let youself get stressed; it's only homework, not a life and death situation! Try and calm down a little, and take your time. Then you're less likely to make mistakes.

About 1. I`m stuck in a middle. I have result (72x^(13/12))+(52x^(9/4)))/39. Is it right?
About 2. I don`t under stand explain me please.

You know i do right the 1st =) I compare it with cal101 result. Cal101 make other version but in result we have right rsult =) He he I love integrals!

But.. Remain else 9 . What to do?

ANd u now... U have 3 pm. But i`m in 0.13 AM =( Really want go to sleep but How? =( when i think, what will hapen with me if i will not complete the task...

About the 2. In calc101.com result (atach file) diferent only with x^3 (see my version) . So where i do mistake , and in the and have misterios x^3

Attachments

• MSP.gif
    MSP.gif
    2.1 KB · Views: 477
How did you get in this bad situation?

I much powerfully was ill, and has missed nearly 2 weeks lessons. Beside me was a temperature from 35.6 before 39. ANd i couldn`t do anything.

Right: question 1. [tex]\int\frac{2x^{1/3}+3x^{3/2}}{x^{1/4}}dx=\int 2x^{1/2}+3x^{5/4} dx [/tex] Can you integrate this using the rule for fractional powers?

question 2. [itex]\int(x^3+1)^{1/4}x^2 dx[/itex].
Are you familiar with the method of substitution? If so use the substitution y=x^3+1; this gives dy=3x^2dx. Substituting into the integrand gives [tex]\int y^{1/4}\frac{dy}{3}[/tex]. Can you solve this? The substituting in for x will give you the solution.

A few more hints for the ones I can see how to do immediately!

5&7 will be some trig subsitutions. For 5 let x=2sinu, for 7 let x=2tanu.
8. looks like it will be do-able using the double angle formula to express it in terms of sinx (or cosx)
10. use integration by parts.

That should give you a bit to work on, I'll have a look at the others in more detail when I've got time [or if anyone else is reading, feel free to help, of course!]

How much do you know about integration?

To Crosson:
Not much. =(. But I trying to rescue the situation.
I`ve just get up. Now i start to do the second. And when i finish it, try to make 5&7.

THX . I `ve done the second! Integration is interesting ... but.. now i just start to do 5... =9

Hm see the 5. I can`t stand, what i do wrong. help:confused:

Attachments

• 24012006755.jpg
    24012006755.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 366
Hm.. how u get 2sinudu ? if x=2sinu.

dx=-2cosudu.

Student from UA said:
Hm.. how u get 2sinudu ? if x=2sinu.

You use the chain rule: dx=d(2sin u)=2 cosu du.

[Sorry, above I said that your notation d(2sin u) was not correct. Of course, it is correct, but not all that useful here!]

He. the 8 i `ve done for 20-40 sec. =) see in atach

Attachments

• 24012006756.jpg
    24012006756.jpg
    16.9 KB · Views: 420
The correct integral should be something like;

[tex]x = 2\sin(u) \Rightarrow dx = 2\cos(u) \; du[/tex]

[tex]\int\frac{dx}{\sqrt{4-x^2}} = \int\frac{2\cos(u)}{2\sqrt{1-\sin^2(u)}}du[/tex]

Which should be somewhat easier to integrate.

Edit: Damn beaten to, you get up too early in the morning cristo!

Last edited:
so how i must write in copy book about the 5 ? how u get 2sinudu can u write?

Hootenanny said:
The correct integral should be something like;

[tex]\int\frac{dx}{\sqrt{4-x^2}} = \int\frac{2\cos(u)}{2\sqrt{1-\sin^2(u)}}du[/tex]

Which should be somewhat easier to integrate.

[tex]\int\frac{dx}{\sqrt{4-x^2}} = \int\frac{2\cos(u)}{2\sqrt{1-\sin^2(u)}}du = \int\1du=u+c[/tex] And what to do?

Hootenanny said:

Yea, that's true, but I made a rather stupid mistake. I've deleted my incorrect post, to avoid confusion.

Student: Look at Hootenanny's post for qn 5.

Student from UA said:
[tex]\int\frac{dx}{\sqrt{4-x^2}} = \int\frac{2\cos(u)}{2\sqrt{1-\sin^2(u)}}du = \int\1du=u+c[/tex] And what to do?
Well, you were given the integrand in terms of x, but now we have an integral in terms of u. So the next step would be to change the integral from a function of u back to a function of x.

Hootenanny said:
Well, you were given the integrand in terms of x, but now we have an integral in terms of u. So the next step would be to change the integral from a function of u back to a function of x.

U know... I know that. I don`t know how to do that! =(:confused: :cry:

Student from UA said:
U know... I know that. I don`t know how to do that! =(:confused: :cry:
Don't let yourself get stressed out when your answering questions, after all they're only questions. Take a look at the first line in one of my previous posts;
Hootenanny said:
Does this give you any ideas?

sin(u)=x/2
u=((-1)^n)arcsin(x/2) + Pi n, n E Z

Student from UA said:
sin(u)=x/2
u=((-1)^n)arcsin(x/2) + Pi n, n E Z
Your almost correct, but aren't you forgetting one 'little' thing...? I'm impressed at how your represent your solution, not many students would think of representing it this way; in truth it is not normally scary unless the question explicitly requires it.

I don't understand why you think that. Good to notice you've learned latex so fast.
[tex]\sin u = \frac{x}{2}[/tex]
[tex]\arcsin (\sin u) = \arcsin (x/2)[/tex]
[tex]u=\arcsin \frac{x}{2}[/tex]

I see why you wrote it that way, but it over complicates the situation this time. Quite Interesting though...

EDIT: In fact it destroys you in this case...The pi*n term gets included in the constant term, and then the integral becomes [tex](-1)^n \arcsin (x/2) + C[/tex], and that is incorrect...

Last edited:
I start do 6th and.. have problems in middle. see in atach

Attachments

• 24012006759.jpg
    24012006759.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 311