1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help with integration via partial fractions

1. Apr 23, 2006 #1
    I'm supposed to integrate this using partial fractions:

[tex]\int\frac{1}{(x-1)^2(x+1)} \ dx [/tex]

I've started to split the integrand into more readily integrated fractions by stating...

[tex] \frac{A}{(x-1)}+\frac{B}{(x-1)^2}+\frac{C}{(x+1)} = \frac{1}{(x-1)^2(x+1)}[/tex]

combining the fractions via addition, and making the numerators equal to eachother (because we have common denominators on each side), I get

[tex]x^3(A+C)+X^2(-A+B-3C)+X(-A+3C)+A-B-C=1[/tex]

From this equation, I can deduce the following:

1. [tex] A+C=0 [/tex]

2. [tex] -A+B-3C=0 [/tex]

3. [tex] -A+3C=0 [/tex]

4. [tex] A-B-C=1 [/tex]

The problem is, the results I get from these equations contradict eachother. ie, if add equations 1 and 3 together, I get that C=0, but if I add equations 2 and 3 together, I get that [tex]C=\frac{-1}{4}[/tex]

What in god's name am I doing wrong? I've done the calculations a number of times, and am pretty sure that my algebra isn't off...any help?

I have a hunch that my problem comes from the way I split up the fraction into three parts..

Last edited: Apr 23, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 23, 2006 #2

nrqed

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

There is no way to get C=-1/4 using only eqs 2 and 3. if you *add* them, C drops out. If you subtract them, B remains there

4. Apr 23, 2006 #3

dav2008

Gold Member

Well the problem off the bat is that you have 4 equations and 3 unknowns.

The next (and directly related) problem is that I'm not quite sure where you're getting your x3 term from...

Looking at your second line: [tex] \frac{A}{(x-1)}+\frac{B}{(x-1)^2}+\frac{C}{(x+1)} = \frac{1}{(x-1)^2(x+1)}[/tex]I'm not sure why you have B divided by (x-1)2.

5. Apr 23, 2006 #4

nrqed

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Your mistake is that you multiplied A by (x-1)^2 (x+1). You must only multiply it by (x-1)*(x+1)

EDIT: you made the same mistake with the others. You multiply by too many factors. For example, B must get multiplied by (x+1) only

6. Apr 23, 2006 #5

nrqed

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

If I recall, in partial fractions if there is a term of higher power, one must include terms all the way to the highest power hence A/(x-1) +B/(x-1)^2

7. Apr 23, 2006 #6
    Well, my reasoning for splitting up the fractions the way I did, was because my teacher and my textbook both told me that when the denominator is comprised of linear factors, some of which are repeated, I should go about the problem the following manner:

[tex]\frac{6x+7}{(x+2)^2} = \frac{A}{x+2} + \frac{B}{(X+2)^2}[/tex]

the above is an example straight out of the textbook.

The truth is, I was given very little justification for having to split up the fraction in this way, and therefore have a very muddled understanding of the whole process in general. My attempt at trying to solve the initial question basically represents me trying to piece all the rules I got for partial fractions in a disjointed manner.

How do you guys suggest I go about tacking the original problem posted in my first post? Trigonometric substitution is out of question right now, since I haven't covered it yet. Perhaps I should try and use integration by parts? I don't know. I'm honestly pretty stumped with this one. I think all I need is a nudge in the right direction here.

8. Apr 23, 2006 #7

dav2008

Gold Member

[tex]\int\frac{1}{(x-1)^2(x+1)} \ dx [/tex] is the same as
    [tex]\int\frac{1}{(x-1)(x-1)(x+1)} \ dx [/tex]

I guess you're right that it doesn't really matter what the denominator of your fractions are as long as you multiply A, B, and C by the proper terms.

In your example of [tex]\frac{6x+7}{(x+2)^2} = \frac{A}{x+2} + \frac{B}{(X+2)^2}[/tex] you would have your equation as [tex]A(x+2)+B=6x+7[/tex]

9. Apr 23, 2006 #8

nrqed

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

No, keep going! You did write the correct decomposition. It is just when you put them over a common denominator that you multiplied by two many factors.

For example [itex] {A \over (x-1)} = {A (x-1)(x+1) \over (x-1)^2 (x+1) } [/itex] and so on. You see? The idea is to bring all your terms over the common factor (x-1)^2(x+1) so that now you can set all this equal to your initial expression. Your mistake was to multiply A, B and C all by too many factors.

Pat

10. Apr 23, 2006 #9
    !!!

Good lord, I feel like a moron :rofl:

thanks!!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?