Solving for the Inverse of log (x)/3

In summary, the conversation discusses the process for finding the inverse of a logarithmic function with a division by a constant, either (log x)/3 or log (x/c). The steps for finding the inverse function are outlined and the possible confusion of the notation used in the article is addressed. The possibility of taking the inverse of a logistic regression equation is also mentioned.
smkm
Hi

How do I take the inverse of log (x)/3? If it is just log (x), it seems quite easy to do but I don't know what to do with the division by 3.

I saw this equation in a biostatistics article and I just can't understand how to solve it. It's been so long since I did inverse functions and I would really appreciate your help.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Is the function f(x) = log (x/3) or f(x) = (log x)/3 ? First, solve for the independent variable:

[tex]f(x)=\log_b (x/3) \Rightarrow b^{f(x)}=b^{\log_b (x/3)} \Rightarrow b^{f(x)}=x/3 \Rightarrow 3b^{f(x)}=x[/tex]

And to find the inverse function, switch the independent and dependent variables: f-1(x) = 3bx. Through a similar process, if you have f(x) = (log x)/3, the inverse would be f-1(x) = b3x, I think.

Last edited:
Hi pbandjay

Thanks so much for your help!

I think f(x) is (log x)/3. It is a bit confusing the way they wrote it in the article.

they had it written out like this:

f-1 {log (x)/c} where c is some constant

[tex]f^{-1}(\frac{log(x)}{c})[/tex]

that appears to be asking for f-1 OF log(x)/c for some other function f, not for the inverse function of log(x)/c.

Thanks HallsofIvy

if that's the case, they were referring to the logistic regression equation. Is it possible to take the inverse of the logistic regression equation?

Perhaps they wrote it that way because talking about the inverse is easy, while computing a formula for it is complicated and not useful in the discussion.

1. What is an inverse function?

An inverse function is a mathematical operation that reverses the effect of another function. In other words, it "undoes" the original function and returns the input value that was used to obtain a specific output value.

2. How do I find the inverse of a function?

To find the inverse of a function, you can follow these steps:1. Write the original function as y = f(x).2. Switch the x and y variables, so that the new equation is x = f(y).3. Solve for y in terms of x.4. The resulting equation will be the inverse function, denoted as f-1(x).

3. Can every function have an inverse?

No, not every function has an inverse. For a function to have an inverse, it must pass the horizontal line test, which means that every horizontal line intersects the graph of the function at most once. If a function fails this test, it does not have an inverse.

4. How can inverse functions be useful?

Inverse functions are useful in many applications, such as finding the original value of a function given its output, solving equations, and understanding the relationship between two variables. They also play an important role in calculus and trigonometry.

5. Are there any properties of inverse functions?

Yes, there are a few properties of inverse functions:- The domain of the original function is the range of the inverse function, and vice versa.- The graph of an inverse function is a reflection of the original function's graph over the line y = x.- The composition of a function and its inverse will always result in the input value.