1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help with line integrals and greens theorem

1. Dec 9, 2007 #1
    I get an answer for this problem, but its 0 and i think thats wrong. if someone could plz, help that'd be great.

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Find the work using the Line Integral Method:
    W = Integral of ( Vector F * dr)

Vector Field: F(x,y) = (xy^2)i + (3yx^2)j

C: semi circular region bounded by x axis and y = squareroot(4-x^2) where y = squareroot(4-x^2) is greater than 0.

2. Relevant equations

So where vector is <P,Q>,
    Work = Integral of (P dx + Q dy) over the region R.

3. The attempt at a solution

So I first parameterized the curve to get P,Q,dx,dy in terms of a common variable:
    x = 2cost, y = 2sint for 0 <= t <= pi which implies dx = -2sint and dy = 2cost

but when I carry out the integration, the limits of integration end up making my answer go to 0 because they are between 0 and pi and I always end up with a sin(t) in the result of the integral.
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 9, 2007 #2
    The entire benefit of using Green's Theorem is that you don't need to parameterize.

Note that what you have written there is equivalent to

[tex] \displaystyle \oint \vec{F} \cdot d\vec{x} = \iint_D \left( \frac{F_2}{dx} - \frac{F_1}{dy} \right) dx dy [/tex]

Thus you can very easily figure out [itex] \frac{F_2}{dx}, \;\; \frac{F_1}{dy} [/itex]

Furthermore, [itex] -2<x<2 [/itex] and [itex] 0<y<\sqrt{4-x^2} [/itex]
  4. Dec 9, 2007 #3
    ya, sorry, i dont know how to write in those fancy symbols. Anyway was my answer of 0 correcT?
  5. Dec 10, 2007 #4

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Why ask for help if you ignore the advice? Do the integration over the half disk and see if you also get 0 there.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?