Help with moment/force question `

• Thread starter shaka091
  • Start date
In summary, the problem asks for the force required to push a 2 kg weight at a distance of 300 mm from a point that is perpendicular to the spanner. The problem states that the force is acting perpendicular to the spanner, so the final answer should be about 905 N.
shaka091
Hey guys I was hoping you would be able to solve this question for me with a worked solution :)

nd1o2r.jpg

And also this question, thanks a lot :)

2wefgw7.jpg

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
You just need to sum the torques about the point where it makes contact.

T = r x F

F points in the opposite direction of the y-axis so F = -Fj.

To get r just write down how you get from the point to the force.

Example: If you move along the x-axis 30 mm positively and you reach the force r= 30i mm

rock.freak667 said:
You just need to sum the torques about the point where it makes contact.

T = r x F

F points in the opposite direction of the y-axis so F = -Fj.

To get r just write down how you get from the point to the force.

Example: If you move along the x-axis 30 mm positively and you reach the force r= 30i mm

Ok so I r=250i + 75j + 300k

And F is unkown. Because the moment is around the x axis, I got something like this (75*z)-(300*y)=280Nm

But wouldn't know where to go from there.

shaka091 said:
Ok so I r=250i + 75j + 300k

And F is unkown. Because the moment is around the x axis, I got something like this (75*z)-(300*y)=280Nm

But wouldn't know where to go from there.

The unit of r is mm, convert that to m.

F is perpendicular to the spanner. If the spanner is vertical (parallel to z) then the force is parallel to y. It is pointing in the -j direction so that F= -Fj

and r x F = 280i

Ok so, r=0.25i + 0.075j + 0.30k

because the force points in the -j direction I got, (0.075*0)-(0.30*-Fj) = 280Nm

which then got F=933.33 ?

Yes that should be correct.

Draw the free body diagram for the second problem and use the same set of equilibrium conditions:

∑Fx = ∑Fy = ∑Fz = ∑M = 0

Thanks for your help, lol turns out I should have just used this formula M=F*D

with distance being (300^2+250^2)^0.5 * F = 280

shaka091 said:
Thanks for your help, lol turns out I should have just used this formula M=F*D

with distance being (300^2+250^2)^0.5 * F = 280

Not quite.
The 250 mm dimension is not relevant. This dim could be made larger or smaller without changing the force (F) required.
The problem states "Assume that Force (F) acts perpendicular to the spanner". This greatly simplifies the problem.

Final answer should be about 905 N.

What is a moment and force question?

A moment and force question refers to a physics problem that involves calculating the forces and moments acting on an object in a given situation. These questions often require knowledge of concepts such as torque, equilibrium, and Newton's laws of motion.

What are some common types of moment and force questions?

Some common types of moment and force questions include finding the net force acting on an object, determining the equilibrium conditions of a system, and calculating the torque required to rotate an object. These questions may also involve real-world scenarios, such as analyzing the forces on a bridge or a car.

How do I solve a moment and force question?

To solve a moment and force question, start by drawing a diagram of the given situation and labeling all the known forces and distances. Then, use Newton's laws and other relevant equations to set up and solve the problem. It is important to pay attention to both the magnitude and direction of the forces and moments in order to get an accurate solution.

What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving moment and force questions?

Some common mistakes to avoid when solving moment and force questions include forgetting to account for all the forces acting on an object, using incorrect equations or values, and not paying attention to the direction of the forces and moments. It is also important to double check your calculations and ensure that your answer makes sense in the given context.

Are there any helpful tips for solving moment and force questions more efficiently?

Yes, some helpful tips for solving moment and force questions more efficiently include breaking the problem down into smaller, more manageable parts, using vectors to represent forces and moments, and practicing with a variety of different problem types. It can also be helpful to work with a study group or seek assistance from a tutor or teacher if you are struggling with a particular concept or problem.