Understanding the Point Of Action of a Force

In summary: That's all I have.There are two centroids, the centroid of the wall itself, and the centroid of the pressure against the wall. Note 2 in the diagram refers to the centroid of the wall itself. It has nothing to do with the centroid of the pressure against the wall. Imagine that the wall is mounted to a movable hinge. If the hinge is at the top of the wall, the water pressure will swing the bottom of the wall outward. If the hinge is at the bottom of the wall, the water pressure will swing the top of the wall outward. If the hinge is at the centroid of the pressure, the wall will stay in position
tomtomtom1
TL;DR Summary
Understanding Point Of Action Of A Force

y' = 2/3 * Y
Hello all

I was hoping some could help shed light on the idea of a Point Of Action of a force.

I have a rectangular wall of 32m which is holding back water, the water is at a height of 29m.

Where is the point of action of the force?

The problem is illustrated below:-

poa force.JPG
I have been told that to find the point of action of the force for a rectangular wall I need to use the following equation:-

paa2.JPG
I need some help applying this because it does not make a lot a sense to me.

From research and help from the community about other questions, I feel that the point of action should be related to the centroid, but I am struggling to put all the pieces together.

Can anyone help?

Thank you.

Engineering news on Phys.org
A good way to understand this is to sketch the water pressure vs depth. It helps to put the pressure vs depth sketch on the wall. The centroid of the pressure vs depth sketch is the height of the point of action of the total force.

When working on problems like this, it is a good idea to make a simple sketch of everything you know before looking for an equation. Many times, a good sketch will make the solution obvious, or at least less confusing.

jrmichler said:
A good way to understand this is to sketch the water pressure vs depth. It helps to put the pressure vs depth sketch on the wall. The centroid of the pressure vs depth sketch is the height of the point of action of the total force.

When working on problems like this, it is a good idea to make a simple sketch of everything you know before looking for an equation. Many times, a good sketch will make the solution obvious, or at least less confusing.

I manage to find the pressure at any point on the wall and was able to find the centroid of the wall itself, this is what I have:-

k1.JPG

Still not sure how the equation y' = 2/3 * Y comes from.

I am assuming that y' is the distance from the bottom of the surface of the water to the point of action or y' is from the water surface down to the point of action.

That's all I have.

There are two centroids, the centroid of the wall itself, and the centroid of the pressure against the wall. Note 2 in the diagram refers to the centroid of the wall itself. It has nothing to do with the centroid of the pressure against the wall.

Imagine that the wall is mounted to a movable hinge. If the hinge is at the top of the wall, the water pressure will swing the bottom of the wall outward. If the hinge is at the bottom of the wall, the water pressure will swing the top of the wall outward. If the hinge is at the centroid of the pressure, the wall will stay in position. Knowing that, and without any math, can you mark the approximate centroid of the pressure? Then, and only then, are you ready to find or derive the equation for the exact location of the centroid of pressure.

• Informative
Likes anorlunda

What is the definition of "Point Of Action"?

The Point Of Action is the location at which a force is applied to an object. It is the point at which the force is acting on the object and causing it to move or change its state.

How does understanding the Point Of Action of a force help in scientific research?

Understanding the Point Of Action of a force is crucial in scientific research as it allows us to accurately predict and explain the motion and behavior of objects. It also helps in designing experiments and engineering solutions to real-world problems.

What factors influence the Point Of Action of a force?

The Point Of Action of a force is influenced by the magnitude, direction, and type of force being applied, as well as the location and orientation of the object on which the force is acting.

Can the Point Of Action of a force change?

Yes, the Point Of Action of a force can change if the magnitude, direction, or location of the force is altered. It can also change if the object on which the force is acting is moved or repositioned.

Why is it important to accurately identify the Point Of Action of a force?

Accurately identifying the Point Of Action of a force is important because it allows us to calculate the net force and determine the resulting motion of an object. It also helps in analyzing the stability and equilibrium of an object under the influence of multiple forces.