Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help with nonlinear PDE

1. Nov 7, 2015 #1
    Hello. I was wondering if anyone here had come across an equation similar to this one:
    [itex] \alpha(uu_x)_x= u_t [/itex]

Any info regarding this equation or tips on how to solve this would be appreciated :)

I came across these solutions: http://eqworld.ipmnet.ru/en/solutions/npde/npde1201.pdf, but how do I choose which one to use? I am looking at a initial value problem. And u > 0.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2015
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 7, 2015 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

I don't think the equation given in the link you posted will be helpful. The equation there is equivalent to ##a(w^m w_x)_x = w_t##.
    The only thing that comes to mind in your equation is to take the partial w.r.t x of the left side (using the product rule). That would leave you with ##\alpha[(u_x)^2 + uu_{xx}] = u_t##, although I'm not sure that gets you anywhere.

4. Nov 7, 2015 #3

pasmith

Homework Helper

For [itex]\alpha > 0[/itex] this is a one-dimensional diffusion equation [tex]
    u_t - (Du_x)_x = 0
    [/tex] where the diffusivity [itex]D[/itex] is not constant, but is instead proportional to the density [itex]u[/itex] of the diffused quantity: [itex]D = \alpha u[/itex].

You seem to be dealing with the case [itex]m = 1[/itex]. I don't think the given analytic solutions will help you, except for particular special cases of the initial condition. For generic initial conditions you must fall back on numerical methods.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook