Nonlinear PDE Help: Solving \alpha(uu_x)_x = u_t | Initial Value Problem Tips"

In summary, the conversation discusses an equation of the form \alpha(uu_x)_x= u_t and the link provided does not seem to be relevant. The equation is equivalent to a one-dimensional diffusion equation with a non-constant diffusivity proportional to the density u. The given analytic solutions may not be helpful and numerical methods may be required for generic initial conditions.
maka89
Hello. I was wondering if anyone here had come across an equation similar to this one:
[itex] \alpha(uu_x)_x= u_t [/itex]

Any info regarding this equation or tips on how to solve this would be appreciated :)

I came across these solutions: http://eqworld.ipmnet.ru/en/solutions/npde/npde1201.pdf, but how do I choose which one to use? I am looking at a initial value problem. And u > 0.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
maka89 said:
Hello. I was wondering if anyone here had come across an equation similar to this one:

Any info regarding this equation or tips on how to solve this would be appreciated :)

I came across these solutions: http://eqworld.ipmnet.ru/en/solutions/npde/npde1201.pdf, but how do I choose which one to use? I am looking at a initial value problem. And u > 0.
I don't think the equation given in the link you posted will be helpful. The equation there is equivalent to ##a(w^m w_x)_x = w_t##.
The only thing that comes to mind in your equation is to take the partial w.r.t x of the left side (using the product rule). That would leave you with ##\alpha[(u_x)^2 + uu_{xx}] = u_t##, although I'm not sure that gets you anywhere.

maka89 said:

For [itex]\alpha > 0[/itex] this is a one-dimensional diffusion equation [tex]
u_t - (Du_x)_x = 0
[/tex] where the diffusivity [itex]D[/itex] is not constant, but is instead proportional to the density [itex]u[/itex] of the diffused quantity: [itex]D = \alpha u[/itex].

You seem to be dealing with the case [itex]m = 1[/itex]. I don't think the given analytic solutions will help you, except for particular special cases of the initial condition. For generic initial conditions you must fall back on numerical methods.

What is a nonlinear PDE?

A nonlinear partial differential equation (PDE) is a mathematical equation that involves partial derivatives of an unknown function, where the function itself is nonlinear. This means that the function does not satisfy the principle of superposition, and the behavior of the function is not directly proportional to the input variables.

Why are nonlinear PDEs important?

Nonlinear PDEs are important because they can accurately model many real-world phenomena, such as fluid flow, heat transfer, and population dynamics. Linear PDEs are limited in their ability to capture complex behavior, making nonlinear PDEs necessary for more accurate and realistic models.

What are some methods for solving nonlinear PDEs?

There are several methods for solving nonlinear PDEs, including numerical methods like finite difference, finite element, and spectral methods. Analytical methods such as perturbation theory and variational methods can also be used. The choice of method often depends on the specific problem and the desired level of accuracy.

What challenges arise when solving nonlinear PDEs?

Solving nonlinear PDEs can be challenging due to the complexity of the equations and the lack of general solution methods. The nonlinearity can also cause difficulties in numerical methods, as it can lead to instabilities and convergence issues. Additionally, initial and boundary conditions may be more difficult to determine in nonlinear cases.

What are some applications of nonlinear PDEs?

Nonlinear PDEs have a wide range of applications in physics, engineering, and other scientific fields. They are used to model fluid dynamics, electromagnetism, quantum mechanics, and many other physical phenomena. In engineering, they are used in areas such as structural mechanics, control theory, and materials science. They also have applications in economics, biology, and other social sciences.