Help with physics of my Magnet Motor

In summary, the author suggests using magnets to create a pendulum-like motion, which could be used for propulsion.
JoeOfTex
The Idea

The idea is similar to a pendulum in motion. I noticed that it was possible to shift the weight towards a single direction causing an immediate force, which equalized over time. I figured I could use magnets to simulate a pendulum and also reset to the starting state using both magnetic attraction and repulsion.

Here is the concept: http://imgur.com/pK3UHhj

The Math Problem

There are 4 objects that have dynamic forces being applied. We'll call the objects Weight Magnet (W), Rebound Magnet (R), Electro Magnet (E), and Body (B). The Rebound and Electro are welded to the Body, so any forces must act on the combined mass of the three objects. The W and R magnets are static in strength, and the (E)lectromagnet can be scaled to any strength.

Here are all the variables:

• Mass - W, R, E, B
  • Static Magnet Strength - W, R
  • Electromagnet Strength - E
  • Distance between - W and R, W and E
  • Oscillation Frequency - E
  • Time - W
  • Force - W, R, E, B

The pseudo simulation with looping Time period [1,9]:

• Time(1) -- E repels W, outward force applied to E and W
  • Time(2) -- W force at 90%
  • Time(3) -- W force at 50%
  • Time(4) -- W force at 10%
  • Time(5) -- R repels W, outward force applied to R and W
  • Time(7) -- W force at 80%
  • Time(8) -- E attracts W, inward force applied to E and W
  • Time(9) -- W at distance=0 with E

I would really like to map out the simulation with math more accurately, and am quite unsure where to begin. What confuses me is the N-body problem of magnetic forces being applied at all times at dynamic distances. Any help with the math would be appreciated, thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Electromagnetic vibrators are already common components in cellular telephones and adult toys for women. What is the point of this device?

mrspeedybob said:
Electromagnetic vibrators are already common components in cellular telephones and adult toys for women. What is the point of this device?

Propulsion. The hypothesis is that if the motor equalizes forces over time instead of instantly, it can provide thrust.

The concept came from this pendulum motor:

Here is a figure of the forces: http://i.imgur.com/YTa0ST8.jpg
At t=1, C will repel B towards A.
At t=5, A will repel B back to C.
At t=7, C will attract B

I'm not a physicist, so I need help in figuring out the math to evaluate if there is the slightest thrust in any direction.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thread closed for Moderation...

First of all, it's great that you have a clear concept and are looking to incorporate math into your project. I can offer some suggestions to help you with the physics of your magnet motor.

To begin with, you mentioned that the idea is similar to a pendulum in motion. This is a good starting point, as the behavior of a pendulum can be described using mathematical equations. In your case, you have multiple objects (W, R, E, and B) interacting with each other, so you can consider the system as a multi-pendulum setup.

To accurately simulate the forces and motion of your magnet motor, you will need to use Newton's laws of motion and the principles of electromagnetism. This will involve calculating the forces acting on each object at any given time, based on their masses, distances, and magnetic strengths.

For the electro magnet (E), you will need to consider its strength and the frequency of oscillation to determine the force it applies on the other objects. This can be calculated using the equations for electromagnetic forces and the frequency of oscillation.

For the weight magnet (W) and rebound magnet (R), you will need to consider their static magnetic strengths and the distances between them and the other objects. The force between two magnets can be calculated using the equations for magnetic forces.

Once you have determined the forces acting on each object, you can use Newton's second law (F=ma) to calculate the acceleration of each object. Then, using the equations for motion, you can track the positions and velocities of the objects at each time interval.

As you mentioned, the N-body problem of magnetic forces can be complex, but it can be solved using numerical methods and computer simulations. There are also software programs available that can help you simulate and visualize the behavior of your magnet motor.

In summary, to accurately simulate your magnet motor, you will need to use mathematical equations for electromagnetic and magnetic forces, along with the principles of motion and oscillation. It may also be helpful to consult with a physics expert or use simulation software to ensure the accuracy of your calculations. Good luck with your project!

What is a magnet motor?

A magnet motor is a type of motor that uses the properties of magnets to produce motion and generate energy. It works by utilizing the repulsive and attractive forces between magnets to create rotational motion.

How does a magnet motor work?

A magnet motor works by using the opposing forces of magnets to create rotational motion. The motor consists of a rotor with magnets attached, and a stator with stationary magnets surrounding it. As the rotor spins, the attraction and repulsion between the magnets cause it to continue rotating, creating a continuous movement.

What are the potential applications of a magnet motor?

A magnet motor can be used in various applications, such as in power generation, transportation, and industry. It can also be used as a backup power source for smaller devices, such as smartphones or laptops.

What are the advantages of using a magnet motor?

One of the main advantages of a magnet motor is its efficiency. It can convert a high percentage of the input energy into kinetic energy, making it a more efficient alternative to traditional motors. Additionally, it does not require any external power source, making it a self-sustaining and eco-friendly option.

Are there any limitations to magnet motors?

While magnet motors have many advantages, they also have some limitations. One of the main limitations is that they can only produce a limited amount of energy and cannot be used for high-power applications. Additionally, they require precise engineering and can be more expensive to produce compared to traditional motors.