Help with question related to magnetism

• Thread starter Antithesis
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Magnetism
In summary, the conversation is about a high school student seeking help with a physics problem involving a long straight wire carrying current and a charged particle projected towards it. The student is looking for the minimum separation between the wire and particle and is asking for assistance from the community.
Antithesis
Hello,

I was hoping if any of you could help me with this problem. It's one of the many I have for my homework assignment.

A long straight wire carries a current i. A particle having a positive charge q and mass m kept at a distance x from the wire is projected towards it with a speed u. Find the minimum separation between the wire and the particle.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm in high school, btw.

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Antithesis said:
Hello,

I was hoping if any of you could help me with this problem. It's one of the many I have for my homework assignment.

A long straight wire carries a current i. A particle having a positive charge q and mass m kept at a distance x from the wire is projected towards it with a speed u. Find the minimum separation between the wire and the particle.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm in high school, btw.

Thank you.
Hi Antithesis and welcome to PF,

What are your thoughts on the question? What have you tried thus far?

Hello,

I would be happy to help you with this problem related to magnetism. This type of problem falls under the category of electromagnetism, which deals with the interactions between electrically charged particles and magnetic fields.

To solve this problem, we can use the formula for the magnetic force on a charged particle moving through a magnetic field, which is given by F = qvB, where F is the force, q is the charge of the particle, v is its velocity, and B is the magnetic field strength. In this case, the magnetic field is created by the current i in the wire.

We can also use the formula for the centripetal force, which is given by F = mv^2/r, where m is the mass of the particle, v is its velocity, and r is the radius of its circular motion. In this case, the particle is moving in a circular path around the wire.

Setting these two forces equal to each other, we can solve for the minimum distance x between the wire and the particle. This will give us the point at which the magnetic force is equal to the centripetal force, allowing the particle to maintain its circular motion without getting closer or farther away from the wire.

I hope this helps you with your homework assignment. If you need further clarification or assistance, please don't hesitate to ask. Keep up the good work in your studies!

1. What is magnetism?

Magnetism is a phenomenon that occurs when certain materials have the ability to attract or repel each other. It is caused by the movement of electrons within the material, creating a magnetic field.

2. How do magnets work?

Magnets work by having a north pole and a south pole, which are attracted to opposite poles and repelled by like poles. This is due to the alignment of electrons in the material, which creates a magnetic field.

3. What are the different types of magnets?

The three main types of magnets are permanent magnets, temporary magnets, and electromagnets. Permanent magnets are made of materials that are always magnetic, while temporary magnets can be magnetized by an external magnetic field. Electromagnets are created by passing an electric current through a coil of wire.

4. How is magnetism used in everyday life?

Magnetism is used in a variety of everyday products, such as electric motors, speakers, and credit cards. It is also used in medical imaging technology, such as MRI machines, and in the generation of electricity through power plants.

5. How can I protect my electronic devices from magnetic fields?

You can protect electronic devices from magnetic fields by keeping them away from strong magnets and sources of electromagnetic interference. You can also use specialized cases or shields designed to block magnetic fields. In general, most electronic devices are designed to be resistant to magnetic fields, so there is usually no need for additional protection.