Maximum shear stress in Mohr's circle

In summary: From the diagram we , we can see that the shear stress that cause the element to turn clockwise is positive , but in the word there , the author stated that the shear stress that cause the element that to turn clockwise is negative ... So , which is correct ?This clockwise and counterclockwise garbage in the figures makes my head spin, and I totally disregard it. I let the mathematics do all the work for me in determining the normal stress and shear stress components on a plane of specified orientation. The mathematics gets there results simply and infallably. Therefore, I won't be answering any questions about the counterclockwise and clockwise diagrams. Here are the simple rules:1. To get the
Chestermiller said:
By any chance, are you familiar with dyadic tensor notation?
i haven't learn this before

Physics news on Phys.org
Chestermiller said:
I'm trying to think of another way, but have not been successful yet? Are you saying that you could not multiply a 2x2 matrix by a 2X1 column vector? By any chance, are you familiar with dyadic tensor notation?

Not having the most appropriate mathematical tools to analyze this stuff makes it much more difficult to learn. It's like trying to do mechanics without knowing calculus.
perhaps you can try yo help me on this thread first , https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/angle-of-principal-stress-vs-maximum-shear-stress.897353/

I think this is more easy compared to the question in this thread...