Help with sine and cosine integral

In summary: The step in the notes I want to verify is:I_{int}=[1+\cos(kl)]\int_0^{kl}\frac{1-cos(v)}{v}dv-2sin(kl)\int_0^{kl}\frac{\sin(v)}{v}dv+\sin(kl)\int_0^{2kl}\frac{\sin(v)}{v}dv-\cos(kl)\int_0^{2kl}\frac{1-\cos(v)}{v}dvIt obviously doesn't match. Attacked is the scanned original notes:I doubt seriously that's log base ten. They just
yungman
I am verifying the equation of radiation power of dipole antenna. I found mistakes in the derivation in the notes. I know the final equation is correct. So instead of following the steps in the notes, I reverse the step by using the final formula and going back step by step. Here is the final equation, [tex]P_{rad}=η\frac {|I_0|^2}{4\pi}I_{int}\;\hbox{ where:}[/tex]
[tex]I_{int}=\left[ C +ln(kl)-Ci(kl)+\frac 1 2 \sin(kl)[Si(2kl)-2Si(kl)]+\frac 1 2 \cos(kl)\left(C+ln(\frac{kl}{2})+Ci(2kl)-2Ci(kl)\right)\right][/tex]
Where ##C## is Euler constant and ##C##=0.5772.

The step before this that I want to verify is:
[tex]I_{int}=[1+\cos(kl)]\int_0^{kl}\frac{1-cos(v)}{v}dv-2sin(kl)\int_0^{kl}\frac{\sin(v)}{v}dv+\sin(kl)\int_0^{2kl}\frac{\sin(v)}{v}dv-\cos(kl)\int_0^{2kl}\frac{1-\cos(v)}{v}dv[/tex]

I know
[tex]Si(kl)=\int_0^{kl}\frac{\sin(v)}{v}dv,\;Si(2kl)=\int_0^{2kl}\frac{\sin(v)}{v}dv,\;
Ci(kl)=-\int_0^{kl}\frac{1-\cos(v)}{v}dv+log(kl)+C,\;Ci(2kl)=\int_0^{2kl}\frac{1-\cos(v)}{v}dv+log(2kl)+C[/tex]

I have not idea where [itex]ln(kl), \;ln(\frac{kl}{2})[/itex] come from. How come it is ln instead of log? Also, it will make more sense if it is ##ln(2kl)## rather than ##ln(\frac{kl}{2})##. Please help.

Thanks

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Just a comment on your Latex: in the expressions Iint =, Si (kl) = and Ci (kl) = , the 'i' looks like a subscript.

SteamKing said:
Just a comment on your Latex: in the expressions Iint =, Si (kl) = and Ci (kl) = , the 'i' looks like a subscript.

I thought it's a subscript and I did use subscript.

Si and Ci (without the 'i' being a subscript) are used to denote the Sine Integral and the Cosine Integral, respectively. I know it could be confusing, but these are the accepted symbols for these functions. I wouldn't want someone to go looking for a subscript where none was present.

SteamKing said:
Si and Ci (without the 'i' being a subscript) are used to denote the Sine Integral and the Cosine Integral, respectively. I know it could be confusing, but these are the accepted symbols for these functions. I wouldn't want someone to go looking for a subscript where none was present.

Ok, I went back and change that already. I modified a little as I was wrong on the Ci

[tex]Ci(kl)=-\int_0^{kl} \frac{1-\cos(v)}{v}dv+log(kl)+C[/tex]

[tex]Si(kl)=\int_0^{kl}\frac{\sin(v)}{v}dv,\;Si(2kl)=\int_0^{2kl}\frac{\sin(v)}{v}dv,\;
Ci(kl)=-\int_0^{kl}\frac{1-\cos(v)}{v}dv+log(kl)+C,\;Ci(2kl)=\int_0^{2kl}\frac{1-\cos(v)}{v}dv+log(2kl)+C[/tex]

I am trying to work on it and this is what I have:
[tex]I_{int}=\left[ C +ln(kl)-Ci(kl)+\frac 1 2 \sin(kl)[Si(2kl)-2Si(kl)]+\frac 1 2 \cos(kl)\left(C+ln(\frac{kl}{2})+Ci(2kl)-2Ci(kl)\right)\right][/tex]
Where ##C## is Euler constant and ##C##=0.5772.
[tex]\Rightarrow\;I_{int}=\int_0^{kl}\frac{1-\cos(v)}{v}dv+\frac{\sin(kl)}{2}\int_0^{2kl}\frac{s\sin(v)}{v}dv-\sin(kl)\int_0^{kl}\frac{\sin(v)}{v}dv+\frac{\cos(kl)}{2}\left( C+ln(\frac {kl}{2})+Ci(2kl)-2Ci(kl)\right)[/tex]
Where I cannot resolve [itex]\frac{\cos(kl)}{2}\left( C+ln(\frac {kl}{2})+Ci(2kl)-2Ci(kl)\right)[/itex]The step in the notes I want to verify is:
[tex]I_{int}=[1+\cos(kl)]\int_0^{kl}\frac{1-cos(v)}{v}dv-2sin(kl)\int_0^{kl}\frac{\sin(v)}{v}dv+\sin(kl)\int_0^{2kl}\frac{\sin(v)}{v}dv-\cos(kl)\int_0^{2kl}\frac{1-\cos(v)}{v}dv[/tex]

It obviously doesn't match. Attacked is the scanned original notes:

Attachments

• trig integral.jpg
    trig integral.jpg
    14.4 KB · Views: 373
Last edited:
I doubt seriously that's log base ten. They just used "log" to represent natural log as we do in Complex Analysis, that is, the expression log(u) in Complex Analysis means the natural log base e and I bet that's what is meant in your expression.

jackmell said:
I doubt seriously that's log base ten. They just used "log" to represent natural log as we do in Complex Analysis, that is, the expression log(u) in Complex Analysis means the natural log base e and I bet that's what is meant in your expression.

I kind of suspected that, I just want to verify.

I just posted my work right before your post, can you take a look at it?

Thanks

Ok. Mathematica does not give your answer. Rather it gives:

[tex]\gamma-\text{Ci}(v)-\cos(v) \text{Ci}(v)+\cos(v)\text{Ci}(2v)-\cos(v)\log(2)+\log(v)-2\sin(v)\text{Si}(v)+\sin(v)\text{Si}(2v)[/tex]

where v =kl and gamma is Eulergamma. Now, there's always the chance that they are two forms of the same answer. Easy to check that. Just plug in some real number for kl and see if your answer agrees with Mathematica. If your doesn't, no offense but Mathematica is pretty sharp and I'd have to go with it and assume you made a mistake. Don't have time to work through it now though.

jackmell said:

[tex]\gamma-\text{Ci}(v)-\cos(v) \text{Ci}(v)+\cos(v)\text{Ci}(2v)-\cos(v)\log(2)+\log(v)-2\sin(v)\text{Si}(v)+\sin(v)\text{Si}(2v)[/tex]

where v =kl and gamma is Eulergamma. Now, there's always the chance that they are two forms of the same answer. Easy to check that. Just plug in some real number for kl and see if your answer agrees with Mathematica. If your doesn't, no offense but Mathematica is pretty sharp and I'd have to go with it and assume you made a mistake. Don't have time to work through it now though.

Thanks for the help, did you use (5) in the scanned notes to derive this? I don't trust the notes, It was proven from the other posts that there are mistakes. When I worked from the other end( the beginning), I don't get the ##2\sin(v)\text{Si}(v)##. There should not be a "2" in it. That's the reason I go from the end equation back this time as I am not going anywhere going from the start to derive the equation.

I double checked with Wikipedia already that the end equation is correct for sure. So that is my starting point to derive back to the electromagnetic wave equations. If your result of the Mathematica from (5) doesn't match (6). There must be a problem with (5) of the scanned notes.

That's the problem with those graduate level books, they are not as well scrutinized and there can be typos and errors. You can't take anything for granted and have to verify every single equation. This is supposed to be the real solution manual already! And here I am, struggling with my rusty math!

let me attach the complete notes of this section. This is page 1, the attachment in the early post is the continuation in page 2. It is proven there is a mistake from (1) to (2) already. And it does not add up from (2) to (3)!

Attachments

• Integration L.jpg
    Integration L.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 346
Last edited:
Anyone please?

jackmell said:

I work out the equation:
[tex]\Rightarrow\; I_{int}=-Ci(kl)+ln(kl)+C-\cos(kl)Ci(kl)+\cos(kl)ln(kl)-2\sin(kl)Si(kl)+\sin(kl)Si(2kl)+\cos(kl)Ci(2kl)-\cos(kl)ln(2kl)[/tex]

The difference from yours is I have ##\cos(kl)ln(kl)## you don't have. Also you have ##-\cos (kl) ln(2)##. I have ##-\cos(kl)ln(2kl)##. Are you sure the ##ln(2)## is not ##ln(2kl)##?

Can you double check as I don't have Mathematica. If it is online calculator, please give me the link to it.

Thanks

Last edited:
Anyone, please?

Subtracting your two equations and simplifying

FullSimplify[
(1 + Cos[kl]) Integrate[(1 - Cos[v])/v, {v, 0, kl}] - 2 Sin[kl] Integrate[Sin[v]/v, {v, 0, kl}] +
Sin[kl] Integrate[Sin[v]/v, {v, 0, 2 kl}] - Cos[kl] Integrate[(1 - Cos[v])/v, {v, 0, 2 kl}]
-
(-CosIntegral[kl] + Log[kl] + c - Cos[kl] CosIntegral[kl] + Cos[kl] Log[kl] - 2 Sin[kl] SinIntegral[kl] + Sin[kl] SinIntegral[2 kl] + Cos[kl] CosIntegral[2 kl] - Cos[kl] Log[2 kl])
]

gives

-c + EulerGamma

so if your C equals EulerGamma then the two are the same.

Note: I've changed the case of characters to satisfy Mathematica.

Thanks for the help. I got it. I was so rusty that I forgot the trick of the log function. It just dawn on me late last night

[tex]2ln(kl)-ln(2kl)=ln\left(\frac {k^2l^2}{2kl}\right)=\ln\left(\frac{kl}{2}\right)[/tex]
[tex]ln(kl)-ln(2kl)=-ln(2)[/tex]

That proofs the equations. Thanks for the help from everyone here.

Last edited:

1. What is the difference between sine and cosine integrals?

Sine and cosine integrals are both types of integrals that involve trigonometric functions. The main difference between them is that the sine integral is used to find the area under the curve of the sine function, while the cosine integral is used to find the area under the curve of the cosine function.

2. How are sine and cosine integrals used in real-life applications?

Sine and cosine integrals have various real-life applications, particularly in physics and engineering. They are used to calculate the amplitude and phase shift of sinusoidal signals, as well as in the analysis of oscillating systems and the calculation of electric field potentials.

3. What are the properties of sine and cosine integrals?

Some properties of sine and cosine integrals include:

• They are even functions, meaning their graphs are symmetric about the y-axis.
  • They have a range of values between 0 and 1.
  • They are periodic, with a period of 2π.
  • Their values can be expressed in terms of other trigonometric functions.

4. How do you solve for the values of sine and cosine integrals?

Sine and cosine integrals can be solved using integration techniques, such as substitution or integration by parts. It is also possible to use tables or calculators to find their values.

5. Are there any special cases or exceptions when dealing with sine and cosine integrals?

Yes, there are a few special cases and exceptions when working with sine and cosine integrals. For instance, the values of these integrals may not exist for certain complex numbers or infinite limits. In addition, the integrals may behave differently when the argument is close to zero or when it approaches infinity.