1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help with the conventions used for curl operator

1. Aug 29, 2012 #1
    http://web.mit.edu/6.013_book/www/chapter2/2.4.html

I was going through the curl derivation on the above link. How does equation 3 turn out? Δy is the incremental length. But how do you decide whether it is +Δy/2 or -Δy/2. And why is the line integral taken Δz when the change is in the y direction. I am utterly confused :(

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 29, 2012 #2

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The component Ay is integrated left-to-right along the bottom of the square (where z = -Δz/2, and y goes from -Δy/2 to +Δy/2), and also along the top of the square from right-to-left.

RGV

4. Aug 29, 2012 #3
    Sorry I still did not understand you properly :( Please forgive my ignorance about this. What is
    +Δy/2 and -Δy/2. Why is the entire Ay compnonent have a 1 sign before it. AT the bottom of the sqyare on the left z is -Δz/2 but the first component of Ay has +Δz/2 term

5. Aug 29, 2012 #4
    I understood. Thank you :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook