Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help with the physics of optical illusions

1. May 13, 2008 #1
    I really don't know how I can speak about the physics in optical illusions. basically all I need is just 3 images and to explain the physics behind it. Can anyone help?

2. jcsd
  3. May 13, 2008 #2
    You really need to do something, anything, yourself before we can help

4. May 13, 2008 #3
    I tried. I got the 3 images, just I can't explain the physics behind it. I spent hours and hours.

5. May 13, 2008 #4

Andy Resnick

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

That's becasue it's not physics- it's how the brain decodes the images in an effort to make sense.

6. May 13, 2008 #5

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Exactly right, it's all about the psychology of human perception and brain processing. An interesting enough topic all to itself.

7. May 13, 2008 #6

DavidSnider

Gold Member

I don't know which illusion you are using, but here's a really simple example:

Say you have a glass of water with a straw in it.

Why does the straw get "cut" sometimes? Does the angle of the straw matter? Does the angle of the light? What about the angle of the viewer? Does the same thing happen with sound?

8. May 13, 2008 #7

Andy Resnick

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Is that really an 'optical illusion'? I'm not so sure... It looks odd, but I think it's a little different from cognitive illusions:

http://www.world-mysteries.com/illusions/sci_illusions3.htm

The OP did not give us the images (s)he is trying to explain

9. May 15, 2008 #8
    Can anyone help through MSN Yahoo or so? Please! Not really physics but scientific or so.

10. May 15, 2008 #9

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Can you show us the images you plan to use? We can't really help you unless you do that.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?