Help with thin lenses and uncertanty

• Thread starter RedGuy1606
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Lenses
In summary, the uncertainty of 1/X can be calculated by using either x + \Delta x or x - \Delta x, and the difference between them is \Delta (1/x).
RedGuy1606
Heyy this is my first time on here and I'm only doing first year physics so my understanding might not be up to scratch =/

I'm doing a practical on thin lenses where we have to do a various amount of measurements and calculations to do with convex lenses. However I'm not very confident with some of the things needed.

If anyone could help me with how to calculate the uncertainty of 1/X (where X has an uncertainty of delta X) and how I would plot the object distance and image distance to create a straight line (It hints to examine the relationship between these distances and focal length in the thin lens equation)

Any help would be greatly appreciated and if I confused you with really bad descriptions, sorry :confused:

Science news on Phys.org
The brute-force way to calculate the uncertainty is to calculate [itex]1 / (x + \Delta x)[/itex] and [itex]1 / (x - \Delta x)[/itex]. The difference between them is [itex]\Delta (1 / x)[/itex].

jtbell said:
The brute-force way to calculate the uncertainty is to calculate [itex]1 / (x + \Delta x)[/itex] and [itex]1 / (x - \Delta x)[/itex]. The difference between them is [itex]\Delta (1 / x)[/itex].

Does that work with absolute uncertainty too (just read the sheet again and realized it said absolute and not the other one which I've forgotten the name of)

Correction: for [itex]\Delta(1/x)[/itex], use either

[tex]\frac{1}{x} - \frac{1}{1 + \Delta x}[/itex]

or

[tex]\frac{1}{x - \Delta x} - \frac{1}{x}[/itex]

The formula I gave before gives you about twice the value you want.

In general, for anything (call it y) calculated as a formula of x, to find the uncertainty:

1. Calculate the formula using the "original" value of x, to get an "unmodified" value of y.

2. Calculate either [itex]x + \Delta x[/itex] or [itex]x - \Delta x[/itex], and substitute it into the formula to get a "modified" value of y.

3. Find the difference between the two values of y. The absolute value is [itex]\Delta y[/itex].

This uses the absolute uncertainty. If you have a measurement like x = 10.3 cm +/- 0.2 cm, then in my notation [itex]\Delta x[/itex] is 0.2 cm.

If you want the relative or percent uncertainty, to a pretty good approximation it's the same for both x and 1/x. Check this if you like, by calculating the absolute uncertainties for an example, then use them to get the relative uncertainties.

Do you know the equation connecting object distance, image distance and focal length?If not look it up, compare this to the general equation for a straight line and you should see it.If you get stuck come back.

Alright I'll do that, thanks a bunch, my prac is today (Yeah I kinda planned my time badly) so wish me will :uhh:

Thanks again

1. What is a thin lens?

A thin lens is a lens that has a small thickness compared to its focal length. This means that the distance between the lens and the object or image it is focusing on is much greater than the thickness of the lens. Thin lenses are commonly used in cameras, eyeglasses, and microscopes.

2. How do you calculate the focal length of a thin lens?

The focal length of a thin lens can be calculated using the formula 1/f = 1/u + 1/v, where f is the focal length, u is the object distance, and v is the image distance. This formula is known as the thin lens equation.

3. What is the difference between a convex and concave thin lens?

A convex lens is thicker in the middle and thinner at the edges, while a concave lens is thinner in the middle and thicker at the edges. Convex lenses converge light rays and can form real images, while concave lenses diverge light rays and can only form virtual images.

4. How does uncertainty affect the calculations for thin lenses?

Uncertainty can affect the calculations for thin lenses by introducing errors in the measurements of the object and image distances. This can lead to inaccuracies in the calculated focal length and other parameters. It is important to minimize uncertainty by using precise measurement techniques and equipment.

5. What are some common applications of thin lenses?

Thin lenses have a wide range of applications, including in cameras, telescopes, microscopes, eyeglasses, and projectors. They are also used in various scientific and industrial instruments for magnification, imaging, and focusing purposes. Additionally, thin lenses are utilized in the medical field for vision correction and in laser technologies for shaping and focusing laser beams.