Help with this differential calculus

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a given function f and its derivative. The participants attempt to estimate the derivative at a specific value and determine the positive and negative intervals for the derivative. The conversation also mentions the need to consider the behavior of the function for different values of x.
GaussianSurface
<Moderator's note: Moved from a technical forum and therefore no template.>

Hi everybody I've been trying to solve this problem all the afternoon but I haven't been able to do it, I've written what I think the answers are even though I don't know if they're correct, so I've come here in order to ask for help, hope you can help me.
Down below is the proble and the answer I've madeSuppose that f is given for x in the interval [0,12] by

x= 0 2 4 6 8 10 12
f(x)= -13 -16 -17 -16 -14 -11 -8
A. Estimate f'(2) using the values of f in the table.

Use two decimals.

f'(2) is approximately -16 (my answer)

B. For what values of x does f'(x) appear to be positive?

(Give your answer as an interval. Use integers.)

( -infinity, +infinity) (my answer)

C. For what values of x does f'(x) appear to be negative?

( , ) (Withouth answer yet)

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
For this type of problems, the best way is usually to calculate the divided differences. Since the differences in the x values are constant (2), your first divided difference will be (-16 - (-13))/2 = -3/2. Calculate those for all f values.

What you have calculated is the secant between successive values of (x, f(x)). A secant is an approximation to a tangent. Since you need the derivative at 2, you need to inspect both secants involving 2.

As to "infinity" - for what values of x is f(x) defined?

Likes GaussianSurface
i'm getting f'(2) to be -1.00 by taking the average of the 2 secants..

Svein said:
For this type of problems, the best way is usually to calculate the divided differences. Since the differences in the x values are constant (2), your first divided difference will be (-16 - (-13))/2 = -3/2. Calculate those for all f values.

What you have calculated is the secant between successive values of (x, f(x)). A secant is an approximation to a tangent. Since you need the derivative at 2, you need to inspect both secants involving 2.

As to "infinity" - for what values of x is f(x) defined?

Let me see if I got you said:
then basing on what you said I'd got dividing the differences
=> -3/2 first value for f
=> -1/4 second value for f
=>-1/6 third ''
=> 2/8 = 1/4fourth
=> 3/10 fifth
=> 3/12 = 1/3 sixth
what you said about the infinity I didn't understand what you meant I'm kind of lost on those last two problems, help please.

GaussianSurface said:
=>-1/6 third ''
=> 2/8 = 1/4fourth
=> 3/10 fifth
=> 3/12 = 1/3 sixth
what you said about the infinity I didn't understand what you meant I'm kind of lost on those last two problems, help please.
I think what he/she meant there was to take the values of secants with a value before 2 (0) and one after 2(4) and then approximate the value of the tangent.. and as of infinity, I think he/she wanted to ask you the values for which we know f(x), because, according to the information here, we have values of f(x) when x is an even integer, while we don't know the behavior of f(x) when x is an odd integer, and also we don't know the behavior for real numbers in general.. hope that was helpful.

Likes GaussianSurface
beastforever said:
I think what he/she meant there was to take the values of secants with a value before 2 (0) and one after 2(4) and then approximate the value of the tangent.. and as of infinity, I think he/she wanted to ask you the values for which we know f(x), because, according to the information here, we have values of f(x) when x is an even integer, while we don't know the behavior of f(x) when x is an odd integer, and also we don't know the behavior for real numbers in general.. hope that was helpful.

And what about the question which says

GaussianSurface said:
And what about the question which says
that very much depends on the behavior of the function, one way is to try and get the equation of the function itself, which i haven't been able to do yet..., is it given in the question that the function is defined only for even values of x?

beastforever said:
that very much depends on the behavior of the function, one way is to try and get the equation of the function itself, which i haven't been able to do yet..., is it given in the question that the function is defined only for even values of x?
Yes, it is. Actually it says Suppose that f is given for x in the interval [0,12]

GaussianSurface said:
=>-1/6 third ''
=> 2/8 = 1/4fourth
=> 3/10 fifth
=> 3/12 = 1/3 sixth
First: Check your arithmetic. You have errors in the subtractions! The divided differences are:

Second: Best estimate for f'(2) is actually (f(4) - f(0))/4 = -1

Third: Assuming that the secants (divided differences) are reasonable approximations to the derivatives, take a look at them and then answer questions B and C.

Likes beastforever

1. What is differential calculus?

Differential calculus is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of rates of change of quantities. It involves finding the derivative of a function, which represents the instantaneous rate of change of the function at a specific point.

2. How is differential calculus used?

Differential calculus is used in various fields such as physics, engineering, economics, and statistics to analyze and understand the behavior of changing systems. It is used to solve optimization problems, model motion and growth, and predict future outcomes.

3. What are the basic concepts in differential calculus?

The basic concepts in differential calculus include limits, derivatives, and differentiability. Limits are used to define the instantaneous rate of change of a function at a specific point. Derivatives are used to calculate this rate of change. Differentiability refers to the smoothness of a function and its ability to have a well-defined derivative at a point.

4. What are some common techniques for solving differential calculus problems?

Some common techniques for solving differential calculus problems include the power rule, product rule, quotient rule, and chain rule. These rules are used to differentiate different types of functions, such as polynomials, exponential functions, and trigonometric functions.

5. Is it necessary to have a strong foundation in algebra to understand differential calculus?

Yes, a strong foundation in algebra is necessary to understand differential calculus. Many of the concepts in differential calculus, such as limits and derivatives, involve algebraic manipulations and require a good understanding of algebraic operations.