Help with Trig Question: How Many Times Does Shantaro Hit Ground in 5 Seconds?

• Thread starter Sebastian999
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Trig
In summary, to solve this trigonometry question, you need to use the equation h(t) = h0 + v0t - 1/2gt^2 with given values of initial height, initial velocity, and acceleration due to gravity. You can use a calculator and the correct order of operations to get an accurate answer. The specific formula to use is h(t) = h0 + v0t - 1/2gt^2, and an example of solving the question is shown with given values of initial height, initial velocity, and acceleration due to gravity. Shantaro hits the ground twice in 5 seconds, at 0 seconds and 10 seconds.
Sebastian999

Homework Statement

The height (h) in cm of Shantaro's pogo stick as he jumps in (s) seconds is roughly modeled by h(s)= sin^(2)4x+2sin4x+1
a) how many times does shantaro hit the ground in the first five seconds

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

i don't even know where to start :(
i tried with g.calc but i need to do it algerbraically

Physics news on Phys.org
Note that when he hits the ground, h(s) = 0. So you are asked to find all values 0 < s < 5 for which h(s) = 0.

Now, assuming you meant h(s)= sin2(4s)+2sin(4s)+1, you can start by defining y = sin(4s) and rewriting s to y.

Last edited:
CompuChip said:
Note that when he hits the ground, h(s) = 0. So you are asked to find all values 0 < s < 5 for which h(s) = 0.

Now, assuming you meant h(s)= sin2(4s)+2sin(4s)+1, you can start by defining y = 4s and rewriting s to y.

It would be better to substitute sin(4s)=y, so he will come up with quadratic equation.

Regards.

Whoops, that's what I meant of course. Nice catch.

Related to Help with Trig Question: How Many Times Does Shantaro Hit Ground in 5 Seconds?

1. How do I solve this trigonometry question?

To solve this question, you will need to use the equation h(t) = h0 + v0t - 1/2gt^2, where h0 is the initial height, v0 is the initial velocity, t is time, and g is the acceleration due to gravity. Plug in the given values and solve for t. This will give you the time at which Shantaro hits the ground. Repeat the process for each given value of t to calculate the number of times Shantaro hits the ground in 5 seconds.

2. What are the given values for this question?

The given values for this question are the initial height (h0), initial velocity (v0), and acceleration due to gravity (g).

3. Can I use a calculator to solve this question?

Yes, you can use a calculator to solve this question. However, make sure to use the correct order of operations and input the values correctly to get an accurate answer.

4. Is there a specific formula I should use to solve this question?

Yes, you can use the formula h(t) = h0 + v0t - 1/2gt^2 to solve this question. This is a commonly used formula in trigonometry to calculate the height of an object at a given time.

5. Can you show me an example of how to solve this question?

Sure, let's say the initial height is 50 meters, the initial velocity is 10 meters per second, and the acceleration due to gravity is 9.8 meters per second squared. Plugging these values into the formula h(t) = 50 + 10t - 1/2(9.8)t^2, we get the equation h(t) = 50 + 10t - 4.9t^2. Solving for t, we get t = 0 and t = 10. This means that Shantaro hits the ground at 0 seconds and 10 seconds. Therefore, he hits the ground twice in 5 seconds.