Help with trigonometric integration problem

In summary, a trigonometric integration problem involves finding the integral of a function that contains trigonometric functions. To solve such problems, one can use techniques such as trigonometric identities, substitution, and integration by parts. Commonly used trigonometric identities in integration include Pythagorean identities, double-angle identities, half-angle identities, and power-reducing identities. While a calculator can be used to solve basic trigonometric integrals, it is important to have a good understanding of the concepts and techniques involved. Some tips for solving these problems include carefully choosing the appropriate substitution, using trigonometric identities, and being familiar with common integration techniques.
stonecoldgen
The problem is to find [itex]\int[/itex](cos5x)/([itex]\sqrt{sinx}[/itex])

I rewrote cos5x as cosx(1-sin2x)2, finally getting:

(cosx-2cosxsin2x+cosxsin4x)/[itex]\sqrt{sinx}[/itex]

and I don't even know if this is the correct path, so, any advice would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Re-write your integral replacing cos5x with what you have in your second line.

Now if you put t=sinx, what is dt?

rock.freak667 said:
Re-write your integral replacing cos5x with what you have in your second line.

Now if you put t=sinx, what is dt?

Thanks! I have the answer!

1. What is a trigonometric integration problem?

A trigonometric integration problem involves finding the integral of a function that contains trigonometric functions such as sine, cosine, tangent, etc.

2. How do I solve a trigonometric integration problem?

To solve a trigonometric integration problem, you can use various techniques such as trigonometric identities, substitution, and integration by parts. It is important to have a good understanding of the properties and rules of trigonometric functions.

3. What are some common trigonometric identities used in integration?

Some common trigonometric identities used in integration include the Pythagorean identities, double-angle identities, half-angle identities, and power-reducing identities. These identities can help simplify the integral and make it easier to solve.

4. Can I use a calculator to solve a trigonometric integration problem?

While some basic trigonometric integrals can be solved using a calculator, it is important to have a good understanding of the concepts and techniques involved in solving these problems. Calculators should be used as a tool, not a crutch.

5. Are there any tips for solving trigonometric integration problems?

Some tips for solving trigonometric integration problems include: carefully choosing the appropriate substitution, using trigonometric identities to simplify the integral, and being familiar with common integration techniques such as integration by parts and u-substitution.