Integration problem in trigonometric functions

In summary: Two different ways to attack the problem. You might have additional questions after looking at those posts.
kashan123999

Homework Statement

please help me with this integration problem?

∫(1/sinx+ cosx) dx

Homework Equations

i don't know any proper substitution in this question,maybe there are none

The Attempt at a Solution

i tried rationalizing and it has got me this far.. ∫(sinx-cosx)/[(sinx)^2 - (cosx^2)] dx...please help me

Physics news on Phys.org
better to integrate the terms separately. The cos(x) is no problem. The other term is csc(x). Here's how you go about it:

##\int## csc(x) dx =## \int## csc(x) ## \cdot \frac{csc x + cot x}{ csc x + cot x}##dx
use the substitution:

u = csc x + cot x

You say that's not obvious? Right -- it is a trick. There are thousands of them, worked out over many years by lots of smart mathematicians. This one is more commonplace than some.

kashan123999 said:

Homework Statement

please help me with this integration problem?

∫(1/sinx+ cosx) dx

Homework Equations

i don't know any proper substitution in this question,maybe there are none

The Attempt at a Solution

i tried rationalizing and it has got me this far.. ∫(sinx-cosx)/[(sinx)^2 - (cosx^2)] dx...please help me

brmath said:
better to integrate the terms separately. The cos(x) is no problem. The other term is csc(x). Here's how you go about it:

##\int## csc(x) dx =## \int## csc(x) ## \cdot \frac{csc x + cot x}{ csc x + cot x}##dx
use the substitution:

u = csc x + cot x

You say that's not obvious? Right -- it is a trick. There are thousands of them, worked out over many years by lots of smart mathematicians. This one is more commonplace than some.

brmath, I don't see that this will help.
I believe that this is the integral in question:
$$ \int \frac{dx}{sin(x) + cos(x)}$$

kashan, brmath interpreted what you wrote (1/sin(x)) + cos(x), which from your work, wasn't what you intended. To prevent this kind of confusion, place parentheses around the entire denominator, like this: 1/(sin(x) + cos(x))

Last edited:
Likes 1 person
Mark44 said:
brmath, I don't see that this will help.
I believe that this is the integral in question:
$$ \int \frac{dx}{sin(x) + cos(x)}$$

kashan, brmath interpreted what you wrote (1/sin(x)) + cos(x), which from your work, wasn't what you intended. To prevent this kind of confusion, place parentheses around the entire denominator, like this: 1/(sin(x) + cos(x))

I did so interpret it. Sorry.

brmath said:
I did so interpret it. Sorry.

No need to apologize. You worked what was actually posted. kashan123999 caused the confusion with his improperly written post.

Yes, no need for apologies, brmath. It takes some practice here to understand what neophytes mean, as opposed to what they actually write. The only way I could figure out what the OP actually meant was from the work he showed.

hint
$$\frac{1}{\sin(x)+\cos(x)}=\frac{\sqrt{2}}{2}\csc (x+\pi/4)
$$

lurflurf said:
hint
$$

As one of my calculus instructors was fond of saying, "Intuitively obvious to the most casual observer."

lurflurf said:
hint
$$

Well then, this makes it quite simple doesn't it...

Mark44 said:
As one of my calculus instructors was fond of saying, "Intuitively obvious to the most casual observer."

His idea of casual observer being not exactly applicable to people like me.

Has anyone but me noticed the OP never returned to this thread?

So let's hold with any more help until we hear back from the OP.
brmath said:
His idea of casual observer being not exactly applicable to people like me.
I assure you, he was speaking ironically...

Mark44 said:
So let's hold with any more help until we hear back from the OP.

I assure you, he was speaking ironically...

of course he was speaking ironically -- so was I.

I am extremely sorry for that misplacement of parenthesis that caused the whole confusion,very very sorry to all of you...it is yes it is actually ∫[1/(sinx + cosx)] dx so then,i have corrected it,can anyone tell me some easy or intuitive substitution,cause our teacher substituted 1 for some angle of sin i guess...and i am not able to grasp that...

kashan123999 said:
I am extremely sorry for that misplacement of parenthesis that caused the whole confusion,very very sorry to all of you...it is yes it is actually ∫[1/(sinx + cosx)] dx so then,i have corrected it,can anyone tell me some easy or intuitive substitution,cause our teacher substituted 1 for some angle of sin i guess...and i am not able to grasp that...

Look at post #4 and post #8. Two different ways to attack the problem. You might have additional questions after looking at those posts.

kashan123999 said:
From your step
(sinx-cosx)/[(sinx)^2 - (cosx^2)]
=sinx/[(sinx)^2 - (cosx^2)]-cosx/[(sinx)^2 - (cosx^2)]
you can substitute u=sin(x)in one and u=cos(x) in the other and use
1=sin^2(x)+cos^2(x)
and
the integration formula for 1/(1-a^2 x^2)
or use my identity above
$$
along with the integration formula for csc(x)

Likes 1 person

1. What is integration in trigonometric functions?

Integration in trigonometric functions is the process of finding the antiderivative or integral of a trigonometric function. It involves reversing the process of differentiation and finding a function whose derivative is equal to the original function.

2. Why is solving integration problems in trigonometric functions important?

Solving integration problems in trigonometric functions is important because it allows us to find the area under a curve, which has many practical applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. It also helps in understanding the behavior and properties of trigonometric functions.

3. What are some common integration techniques for trigonometric functions?

Some common integration techniques for trigonometric functions include using the trigonometric identities, substitution, integration by parts, and partial fractions. It is important to be familiar with these techniques and know when to apply them in order to solve integration problems effectively.

4. How do I know which technique to use when solving an integration problem in trigonometric functions?

Choosing the right integration technique for a trigonometric function depends on the form of the function and its components. Generally, you should try to simplify the function using trigonometric identities or substitution before attempting to integrate. If the function still cannot be integrated, you can try integration by parts or partial fractions.

5. Are there any tips for solving integration problems in trigonometric functions?

One helpful tip for solving integration problems in trigonometric functions is to always check whether the function can be simplified using trigonometric identities or substitution before attempting to integrate. Additionally, it is important to be familiar with the properties of trigonometric functions and their derivatives to make the integration process smoother.