Help with variance sum + correlation coefficient formula

In summary, the formula for correlation coefficient is: Cov(X,Y) = (Var(X) - Var(Y))/(Var(X)^2 + Var(Y)^2).
Simfish
Gold Member
[SOLVED] Help with variance sum + correlation coefficient formula

This is a worked example

The objective is to prove

[tex]-1 \leq \rho(X,Y) \leq 1[/tex]

Then the book uses this formula...

(2) [tex]0 \leq Var(\left \frac{X}{\sigma_x} + \frac{Y}{\sigma_y} \right)[/tex]

(3) [tex]= \frac{Var(X)}{{\sigma_x}^2} + \frac{Var(Y)}{{\sigma_y}^2} + \frac{2Cov(X,Y)}{\sigma_x \sigma_y}[/tex]

The question is, how does 2 lead to 3? Namely, how does [tex]Var(\frac{X}{\sigma_x} ) => \frac{Var(X)}{{\sigma_x}^2}[/tex]?

Also, how does one get the idea to use formula (2) to prove (1)? It doesn't seem like a natural step

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
sorry, I edit my posts a lot - so somehow, edited posts on PF don't edit the tex code any longer once you edit the posts enough...

Namely, how does [tex]Var(\frac{X}{\sigma_x})[/tex] => [tex]\frac{Var(X)}{{\sigma_x}^2}[/tex]?

What is Var(aX), where a is constant?

aVar(X)

holy crap
i never knew my attention lapses were that bad

Simfishy said:
aVar(X)

That's not right. The variance of a one-dimensional random variable X is defined as [itex]\text{Var}(X) = \text{E}[(X-\text{E}(X))^2][/itex]. What does this mean in terms of scaling X by some quantity a?

Oh, I see.

[tex]a^2 Var(X)[/tex]

Now onto the next question: Given two random variables [itex]X[/itex] and [itex]Y[/itex], what is [itex]\text{Var}(X+Y)[/itex]? Apply the definition of [itex]\text{Var}(X)[/itex] to the new random variable [itex]X+Y[/itex].

[tex]= {Var(X)} + {Var(Y)} + {2Cov(X,Y)}[/tex]

but that's from memorization - I'll try to derive it now

Last edited:
[tex]Var(X+Y)[/tex]

[tex]= E[(X+Y)^2] - E[X+Y]^2[/tex]

[tex]= E[X^2 + 2XY + Y^2] - E[X+Y]^2[/tex]
[tex]= E[X^2] + 2E[XY] + E[Y^2] - (E[X] + E[Y])^2[/tex]
[tex]= E[X^2] + 2E[XY] + E[Y^2] - E[X]^2 - E[Y]^2 - 2E[X]E[Y][/tex]
[tex]= (E[X^2]- E[X]^2) + (E[Y^2] - E[Y]^2) + (2E[XY]- 2E[X]E[Y])[/tex]
[tex]= Var(X) + Var(Y) + 2Cov(X,Y)[/tex] IF dependent
IF independent, 2E[XY] = 2E[X]E[Y]

==
Okay, can someone please address my second question?
Also, how does one get the idea to use formula (2) to prove (1)? It doesn't seem like a natural step

What is [itex]\text{Var}\left(X/{{\sigma_x}}\right)[/itex]?

[tex]\frac{Var(X)}{{\sigma_x}^2} = 1 [/tex] since [tex] Var(X) = \sigma_x, Var(Y) = \sigma_y[/tex]. I have the entire proof in the book - but the first step seems unnatural (how does one get the inspiration to use [tex]0 \leq Var(\left \frac{X}{\sigma_x} + \frac{Y}{\sigma_y} \right)[/tex] for proving that correlation coefficient has absolute magnitude <= 1?

Last edited:
The variance of any random variable is tautologically non-negative. Look at the definition of variance.

You mean [tex] Var(X) = \sigma_x^2, Var(Y) = \sigma_y^2[/tex]

but the first step seems unnatural
The idea behind correlation is to standardize variables X and Y by dividing each by its standard deviation before finding their correlation.

Okay I see. Thanks. :)

What is the formula for calculating variance sum?

The formula for calculating variance sum is:
Variance = Sum of Squared Deviations / Number of Observations

How do I calculate the correlation coefficient?

The correlation coefficient is calculated by dividing the covariance of two variables by the product of their standard deviations. The formula is:
r = Cov(X,Y) / (SD(X) * SD(Y))

Why is the variance sum important in statistics?

Variance sum is important in statistics because it measures the variability or spread of a data set. It provides a quantitative measure of how much the data points differ from the mean, and is used to calculate other important statistics such as standard deviation and correlation coefficient.

Can the correlation coefficient be negative?

Yes, the correlation coefficient can be negative. A negative correlation coefficient indicates a negative relationship between two variables, meaning that as one variable increases, the other variable decreases. A correlation coefficient of 0 indicates no relationship between the variables.

How can I interpret the correlation coefficient?

The correlation coefficient ranges from -1 to 1. A correlation coefficient of 1 indicates a perfect positive relationship between two variables, meaning that as one variable increases, the other variable also increases. A correlation coefficient of -1 indicates a perfect negative relationship, and a correlation coefficient of 0 indicates no relationship. The closer the correlation coefficient is to 1 or -1, the stronger the relationship between the variables.