Hepa filter specifications/ blower match

In summary: The purpose of your device is not to cool or filter air. You are not concerned about the performance of your device, you are only interested in having the highest possible filtration. In summary, your device will have a fan and a Hepa filter. The fan will create airflow and the Hepa filter will remove pollutants.
Dones
Greetings, I am new here

I hope I don't come of rude by just posting like this, but I am in need of assistance.
Im making an air purifier myself. It will consist of a fan(blower Hepa filter and active carbon filter.
I have no problem with carbon filter and fan specifications matching, but I am having a hard time putting Hepa in the equation, because I am so confused about calculating appropriate Hepa specifications in relationship with the static pressure drop. And at the moment I need this purifier in a very short time and hence I don not have the time to research the science behind it.

Can somebody just tell me what size and thickens of Hepa filter I should buy, to mach with my fan. I was planing on buying a 400m3/h blower that has 300Pa static pressure.

Should I buy half of foot square Hepa H12 filter of 2,5" or is it ok to get 1 square foot Hepa H13 filter of 3inch thickness??

Please help, any recommendations on what the dimensions and thickness of Hepa(h12 or H13) is much appreciated.

Thank you in advance

Engineering news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Your filtration requirements drive your choice of filter. If you don't have filtration requirements, then your choice of filter (and airflow) is arbitrary. Either way, once you have selected the airflow and filter model, you will size the filter based on the manufacturer's recommended face velocity.

Hi, Thanks for the reply. My choice of filter is based upon the selection of my blower. I am just trying to calculate what size and thickness(and number) of Hepa filter that I need to buy in order to work correctly and don't overload my fan. The fan is rated at 400m3/h and has static pressure of 300Pa. I just don't know how(and don't have time to learn now) to calculate the filter specifications. So if any kind soul could tell me what Hepa specifications(size, thickness and number) are most appropriate, I would be thankful very much.

I Have Hepa H13 302*302mm, thickness 78mm and the smaller H12 200x120mm, thickness 48mm

Which one of these is better suitable and/or should I get some other one?

Thank you for help in advance

Dones said:
I just don't know how(and don't have time to learn now) to calculate the filter specifications.
There are no calculations to do. Just pick a filter out of a catalogue that meets your needs. At 300pa, you will have any easy tiime finding one, as most HEPA filters have much lower starting pressure drop.

Ok, sorry.
Its preety obvious that I do not have a catalogue for these Hepa filter available or else I would just do it.
There must be some general specifications chart for different Hepa thickness sizes and what fan/blower is suitable for them.

But like I said I haven't found it and am not with enough free time to research and I've been searching for it long enough so I decided to ask here. If anyone can PLEASE rely i the can help me with this .

Here are MERV ratings for some merv ones but they don't mention the size o the filter
http://www.pureairsystems.com/MERV-Ratings_324b10e9978f8c18103.html

I also found this but it doest mention the dimensions or the thickness or type of Hepa filter
https://www.shroomery.org/8491/I-want-to-construct-a-HEPA-hood-How-do-I-match-a-blower-to-a-HEPA-filter

Last edited by a moderator:
Dones said:
Its preety obvious that I do not have a catalogue for these Hepa filter available or else I would just do it.
Usually the specs are available online, but for those, I'm not seeing them. I would email the vendor if that's the filter you are set on. For typical HVAC applications, though, 12" is a pretty common depth:
http://www.camfil.us/WebBase/wbftp/documents/46053.pdf

As you can see, that document lists the maximum airflow at a specified pressure drop. Others sometimes provide a graph of airflow vs pressure drop. Remember: a HEPA filter needs to be protected by a pre-filter too, so you need to include one as well.

What is this information for? It would probably help us to help focus your questions if we knew what your purpose was.

Hi Russ, Thank you for your replies.

I am making a "portable" diy air purifier. When I say portable I mean just to distinguish that its not typical entire home HVAC system/
It will just be a active carbon filter and HEPA filter in front of a fan, I will assemble it all together, i have no problems with doing that manual work, its just that I have concerns of how will it be performing so hence I try to learn more. I guess I will find out soon if it works :D
I already bought a fan, its a 1000m3/h, 110W, 350Pa fan. But I am always skeptical about manufacturers claims when it comes to values.
My filtration needs are not that much based on airflow with this device, but I am more interested in having the highest filtration possible, that's why I had Hepa in mind, but I am not sure if it will be possible with this fan, because I will also be putting a carbon filter in front and a prefilter for HEPA.
I don't have pressure drop spec of a carbon filer part, it just says it has 300m3/h airflow and its a granulated (not pellet active carbon).
The Hepa filter I found has 250Pa pressure drop. I've read that carbon filters can have up to 0,5 to 1" (250Pa) pressure drop.
My filer looks like this.

The air first goes through carbon tube (that also has a prefilter on it ) then it goes through prefilter for Hepa and then HEPA before passing through the fan.

I'm mostly interested if anyone can tell me what can I expect if I overload the fan?? in other words if the pressure of filters is too big for fan to operate.? Will the fan overheat and malfunction? or will it just work at lower airflow through the filters? I would be fine if it will be pulling 100m3/h airflow through these filters but my instinct tells me its probably not good in long term if any at all.
My fan is backward inclined centrifugal type.

I will test it all in the end and see, in the worst case I will have to lower my filter desires or just get a much better fan. but I would love to have MERV16 filter and carbon at least.

Thanks again for your thoughts in advance

Attachments

• 51iPp2ZT0fL._SX425_.jpg
    51iPp2ZT0fL._SX425_.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 431
Dones said:
I am making a "portable" diy air purifier.
A worthy exercise: I once bought a $300 one from a major/reputable manufacturer for a girlfriend. It was just a fan and filter in a poorly made plastic and foam box (there is a scathing review of it somewhere on this forum...). I'm sure I could do better and considered doing it myself...
I already bought a fan, its a 1000m3/h, 110W, 350Pa fan. But I am always skeptical about manufacturers claims when it comes to values.
As you should be. What, precisely, does the spec sheet say? 1000m3/h, 350P and 1000m3/h @ 350P are very, very different things. The best thing to do is find a fan curve, if the manufacturer can provide it (more discussion below...). Anyway, the airflow is in the ballpark of what a room-sized HEPA should be.
The air first goes through carbon tube (that also has a prefilter on it ) then it goes through prefilter for Hepa and then HEPA before passing through the fan.
Sounds reasonable.
I'm mostly interested if anyone can tell me what can I expect if I overload the fan?? in other words if the pressure of filters is too big for fan to operate.? Will the fan overheat and malfunction? or will it just work at lower airflow through the filters?
Fans have performance curves and if you choke them off by having a higher resistance than the chosen operating point specifies, you end up further back on the curve at a lower airflow and higher pressure. They don't overheat unless you stop the airflow completely: fan runs at lower power input when they are choked-off.
My fan is backward inclined centrifugal type.
A high quality/efficiency fan type.

You're doing fine with your project.

Yes! Thats exactly why I decided to do it myself, when I recalculated the cost of parts and doing it myself instead o buying a branded one, plus I love making stuff and learning.
The sheet says exactly that what I wrote , its a typical curve, The highest static pressure(350Pa) is when the an airflow is lowest, and 1000m3/h is when there is no pressure. if I am reading the curve correctly.
But I got completely confused how all these work together when assembled, because the filter has its own curve and I am trying to calculate how it will all work together. As I learn more I found out there is initial pressure drop in filter and when it gets clogged up the pressure will only get bigger so I guess the fan is definitely weak I thing, but if I read the filter curve correctly let's say that the filter has 1000m3/h airflow at 250Pa pressure drop. Does that mean that at lower airflow there will be less pressure drop in filter? Or will it always be the same 250Pa and only rise above as it gets clogged and with more airflow required?
I just can't seem to wrap my head about how the fan and filter combined together will work. For example there was a smaller an with 270Pa and "only" 300m3/h airflow, maybe I should have taken that one instead of this one.
Either way I should be buying the filers in the next few days so I will see what will happen. I was thinking of also making my own inclined manometer to measure the pressure and learn more as I go. But my biggest concern is how the fan will behave and survive if it gets little airflow and big pressure for example running at 100m3/h at 300Pa all the time

Hey, What are you trying to grow over there ;)

Very funny :D I'm trying to clean my indoor air. Oh, and if I was trying to grow something there would be no need for a HEPA filter , just carbon :)) btw, I am still interested in anyone opinion on overloading my fan with pressure and thoughts on how it will work. Anyway I buy my filters tomorrow and should start building it

The filter media that you called out will do you reasonably well. The wild card here is the existing air quality. As you are filtering the air at a high level the media will over time plug. This will show as an increase in pressure drop.
My recommendation would be to rig some type of differential meter across the filter. Change your media when your starting to drop excessively. If the filter change interval is too frequent you need more media for the air your working with change up the filter on the next purchase.
With no indication of the suspended solids level in your air there is no way to predict the adequacy of a particular filter.

1. What is a HEPA filter and why is it important?

A HEPA (High-Efficiency Particulate Air) filter is a type of air filter that is designed to remove at least 99.97% of airborne particles that are 0.3 microns or larger. These particles can include dust, pollen, pet dander, and other pollutants. HEPA filters are important because they help improve the air quality in indoor environments, which can have a significant impact on our health and well-being.

2. What are the specifications of a HEPA filter?

The specifications of a HEPA filter include its efficiency, which is measured by its ability to remove particles of a certain size. As mentioned before, a HEPA filter must be able to remove at least 99.97% of particles that are 0.3 microns or larger. Other specifications may include the filter's airflow resistance, size, and compatibility with different types of air purifiers or HVAC systems.

3. How do I know if a HEPA filter is compatible with my blower?

In order for a HEPA filter to work effectively, it must be matched with a blower or fan that can provide enough airflow to push air through the filter. The most important factor to consider when matching a HEPA filter with a blower is the airflow resistance of the filter. This information can usually be found in the filter's specifications or by consulting with the manufacturer.

4. Can a HEPA filter be used for both residential and commercial purposes?

Yes, HEPA filters can be used for both residential and commercial purposes. They are commonly used in air purifiers for homes and offices, as well as in industrial settings such as hospitals, laboratories, and clean rooms. However, the specifications and requirements for HEPA filters may vary depending on the specific application.

5. How often should a HEPA filter be replaced?

The frequency of HEPA filter replacement depends on various factors such as the quality of the filter, the level of air pollution in the environment, and the amount of use. In general, it is recommended to replace a HEPA filter every 6 to 12 months for residential use, and more frequently for commercial or industrial use. It is important to follow the manufacturer's instructions for proper maintenance and replacement of HEPA filters to ensure their effectiveness.