Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Here comes Hurricane Gustav!

1. Aug 30, 2008 #1

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

It's approaching the western end of Cuba as a category 4 hurricane already. It looks like it will hit the U.S. on Monday night or Tuesday morning. The mayor of New Orleans said today, "I am strongly, strongly encouraging everyone in this city to evacuate. Start the process now."

From cnn.com: "Mississippi Gov. Haley Barbour announced Friday that Hurricane Katrina victims living in government-issued trailers or mobile homes along his state's coast would begin evacuating Saturday."

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 30, 2008 #2

Evo

If it does hit New Orleans, this will be the first test of the new levees.

New Orleans really shouldn't exist in it's present state. When being above water depends on the constant pumping out of water to exist, there's something wrong, IMO.

4. Aug 30, 2008 #3

Astronuc

The three day projection has Gustav passing just west of NO, which means they'll get the heavy NE side of the hurricane. Probably a lot of rain and flooding, and high winds with that.

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/refresh/graphics_at2+shtml/180114.shtml?3day

Attached Files:

5. Aug 30, 2008 #4

turbo

Gold Member

6. Aug 30, 2008 #5
    Naturally, those who live in the flood plain expect those of us who don't to pay for their damages when the levees fail again. Rebuilding New Orleans below sea level is one of those gambles that should be paid for by the gamblers.

I prefer to be at a thousand feet.

7. Aug 30, 2008 #6

turbo

Gold Member

Holy Crap! The devil is wearing ice-skates. I've not yet been on the same side of almost any issue as you.

8. Aug 30, 2008 #7

Evo

9. Aug 30, 2008 #8

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

President Bush is holding his ultimate disaster relief weapon in reserve until the hurricane hits - Michael Brown.

10. Aug 30, 2008 #9

jtbell

What is Brownie doing now, anyway? I don't remember reading anything about him after he did some TV or magazine interviews claiming that he had basically been made into a scapegoat.

11. Aug 30, 2008 #10

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Gustav's projected track, once it enters the Gulf, is very similar to Katrina's.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

p.s. Hmmm. Do [ img ] tags not work for .gif files?

Last edited: Aug 30, 2008
  12. Aug 30, 2008 #11

Evo

The [​IMG]

13. Aug 30, 2008 #12
    The guys here monitor the beast closely and post updates by the minute, so to see.

14. Aug 30, 2008 #13

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

Gives me the warm fuzzies thinking he is working on keeping the country safe from terrorism I can tell you.

15. Aug 30, 2008 #14

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I get a page with 30+ discussion topics and links. Nothing with "Gustav" in it. Where do we go from that page, to find the Gustav updates?

edit:

16. Aug 30, 2008 #15

turbo

Gold Member

17. Aug 30, 2008 #16
    There are two threads in there about Gustav just scroll down below the stickies

18. Aug 30, 2008 #17

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

19. Aug 30, 2008 #18

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

Google Earth with the weather layer turned on looks pretty current. With the lag between satellite picture and ground base radar you can see the direction of the eye even.

Remembering past storms, I'd think the current track showing west of the mouth of the Mississippi will be somewhat to the east by the time it hits landfall. The further to the east it hits of New Orleans the better for New Orleans anyway. Though Mobile-Pensacola may be in for a tougher time. I certainly would not wish its landfall on anyone however. The eye wall looks pretty well defined.

If it makes it's way much more to the west though it could be pretty bad in NO. Such a shame.

20. Aug 30, 2008 #19

Evo

Yes, it will be bad if the hurricane hits N.O., but maybe a good lesson that you shouldn't live on reclaimed swampland at the mouth of a river on a gulf prone to hurricanes.

21. Aug 31, 2008 #20

Pyrrhus

Homework Helper

Wow!, Let's just hope for the best really. When Gustav was here in my country (Dominican Rep.), it was mostly rain and thunder from last friday to this past wednesday. As a nation we really can't afford to rebuild too much, not to mention the loss of human lives.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?