Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Here's that Video of Space Shuttle Endeavour I promised

1. Mar 16, 2008 #1
    Back from Florida! Keep in mind the launch was much more intense then the video! It was 2:30 am, and it lit up the pitch black skies and then sunk into the clouds.
    Click me.
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 16, 2008 #2

Staff: Mentor

Very cool. I really need ot get to one before the program gets cancelled.
  4. Mar 16, 2008 #3

Gold Member

back story? I would suggest putting it in the details of the youtube vid too.
  5. Mar 16, 2008 #4
    Launchs are the most coolest thing, Ive have ever seen. When you get really close the ground shakes, and its blinding in its brightness. Back in the 1960's news men would drop to there knees in awe. So glad you got to see it.
  6. Mar 16, 2008 #5
    Do you mean the space program in general is being cancelled? Or just this particular one? I had heard plans that new shuttle were going to be built. Is that not true?
  7. Mar 16, 2008 #6
    I love night launches! So beautiful. Where were you, one of the viewing areas off of the interstate?

The Space Shuttle program is being shut down and the shuttles are being retired by 2010. The new Constellation Program will begin flying a few years afterwards with the Ares rockets.
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2008
  8. Mar 16, 2008 #7
    So the shuttled that are in use now will be retired. But this does not mean there won't be any more manned missions to space right? There will always be a "space" program of sorts in the works right?
  9. Mar 16, 2008 #8
    Probably not. Too expensive. What are the astronauts doing up there anyways?
  10. Mar 16, 2008 #9
    Sarcasm, I assume, Cyrus?

Sorry Saladsamurai, I wasn't clear. Unmanned space missions are currently flown using rockets, not space shuttles. Rocket launches occur frequently around the world for various reasons (military, communication, weather/climate, and yes, space exploration). Those will not stop when the shuttles are retired.

After the Space Shuttles are retired, the U.S. manned space program will be on hold until the Ares rockets can get Orion (the crew vehicle) flying, maybe by 2014. In the meantime, Russia will continue launching manned missions to the International Space Station.
  11. Mar 16, 2008 #10
    No, im serious. What are they doing that robots cant do cheaper and better? These things cost a LOTTTTTTT of money every time they blow up and kill people.
  12. Mar 16, 2008 #11
    I agree Cyrus. Space exploration is cool and all, but with all the problems on EARTH we could seriously use some of that massive funding the space programs get to help with ummm war, world hunger and disease, global warming and climate change, etc.
  13. Mar 16, 2008 #12
    Also, salad, did you check out the place I suggested? I know it was rather short notice.
  14. Mar 16, 2008 #13

Huge misconception there. The manned space program receives an extremely low amount of funding compared to the military and many other U.S. government programs. Re-directing money away from NASA will solve nothing whatsoever and will only create a huge hole where NASA used to be. NASA actually does a contribute to research on climate change, global warming, etc.

To quote a geologist: "Don't send a robot to do a human's job." Robots are fantastic. I love robotic missions. There are some things that robots simply cannot do, and human space exploration is needed.

Edited to add: I specify NASA because I'm not very familiar with other nations' space programs.
  15. Mar 16, 2008 #14
    Did the space shuttle contribute to research on climate change and global warming? I thought that was due to nasa satellites tracking weather patterns. Not the space shuttle. Also, isnt the space shuttle somewhere around a billion dollars each? Thats still mighty expensive for something that only goes up for a week or two at a time. What are the astronauts doing that robots cant do?
  16. Mar 16, 2008 #15
    Yeah, I mean of course some aspects of the space programs help with these problems, but some are extraneously damn expensive.
  17. Mar 16, 2008 #16
  18. Mar 16, 2008 #17
    And that much money would pay for how much of: a research mission in the Arctic, a medical trip to a third world country, etc.?
  19. Mar 16, 2008 #18
    Why would you give it to medical trips for third world countries?

Are you joking? No way.
  20. Mar 16, 2008 #19
    Is that a joke?
  21. Mar 16, 2008 #20
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?