Hertzian dipole generating EM Waves.

In summary, the conversation is about the Hertzian Dipole and the derivation of the vector potential A and scalar potential (phi). The speaker is missing the derivation of the E and B fields from these potentials, specifically the theta component of the E field. They mention using webcode for equations and ask for assistance or suggestions. Another person provides a weblink and suggests taking the curl of the vector potential to get the magnetic field.
polystethylene
Hi, in my notes for the Hertzian Dipole I have a derivation of the vector potential A, and the scalar potential (phi). However, I'm missing the derivation of the E and B fields from these potentials. It seems that only the theta component of the E field exists, and I have ... well, I can't write it out because I don't how to use the webcode to equations... but it has omega, I0 (current), sin(theta), and another sine term, but with an argument that is omega x the retarded time.

Anyone got any clues? Or even an idea of what I'm trying to say? (I realize the question is a little sketchy)

Physics news on Phys.org
hi, polystethylene:
Here is something you need: please read the weblink first; if you still have problem, please contact me! :smile:http://www.ece.rutgers.edu/~orfanidi/ewa/ch15.pdf"

Last edited by a moderator:
If you've got the vector potential, take the curl to get the magnetic field? I don't see where the problem is.

1. What is a Hertzian dipole?

A Hertzian dipole is a theoretical model of an antenna that is used to generate electromagnetic (EM) waves. It consists of two equal and opposite charges oscillating back and forth along a straight line, which creates an alternating electric current that produces EM waves.

2. How does a Hertzian dipole generate EM waves?

As the charges in a Hertzian dipole oscillate, they create an alternating electric current. This current produces a changing electric field, which in turn creates a changing magnetic field. These changing fields create self-propagating EM waves that travel through space at the speed of light.

3. What is the significance of the term "Hertzian" in relation to EM waves?

The term "Hertzian" is named after Heinrich Hertz, a German physicist who first demonstrated the existence of EM waves in the late 19th century. He used a Hertzian dipole to generate and detect these waves, and his experiments helped to confirm the existence of electromagnetic radiation, which was predicted by James Clerk Maxwell's theory of electromagnetism.

4. What factors affect the strength of EM waves generated by a Hertzian dipole?

The strength of EM waves generated by a Hertzian dipole depends on several factors, including the length and orientation of the dipole, the frequency of the oscillating charges, and the conductivity of the surrounding medium. Additionally, the distance from the dipole also affects the strength of the EM waves, with the intensity decreasing as distance increases.

5. How are Hertzian dipoles used in practical applications?

Hertzian dipoles are used in various practical applications, including radio and television broadcasting, wireless communication, and radar systems. They are also used in scientific research, such as in the study of the Earth's ionosphere and the detection of cosmic rays. The concept of a Hertzian dipole is also important in understanding the basics of antenna design and radiation patterns.