Hesitant, Confused, and Desprate

• Thread starter hashmos
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Confused
In summary, the recent grad is not sure if Electrical Engineering is what she loves and is troubled by the lack of available jobs. She is interested in other fields of electrical engineering but is unsure if she will find good job opportunities if she pursues a different major. She is interested in pursuing a masters in philosophy or psychology but is unsure if she should because she does not love those majors as much as she loves electrical engineering.
hashmos
Hi Guys,

I really wish that you help me in my problems, cause I can't take the mental torture anymore.

I just graduated with a degree in Electrical Engineering. The job market doesn't look good and the crisis took its

toll on all of us recent graduates "lucky us".

To be honest, I still can't feel the happy feelings, the excitment, and all that rush of finishing one of the

toughest degrees in education.

One problem may be the lack of a job.

The second is that, I am not sure of whether Elecrical Engineering is what I love, or not.

I really enjoy some fields in electrical engineering, which is communication and pattern recognition, and hated

others, like Power.

However, others say that you need to FALL IN LOVE with the field you should major in. One even said, it should make you stay up all night, thinking about it, dreaming of it. The thing is, I don't feel that much love towards communication and pattern. It certianley does not make me stay up all night. It is intersting, yes, but not to the extent, for me at least.

I am intreeged by philosophy and phsycology, and entruprenship, but I don't think that, when studying those, that i will find a lot of job opprtunities. Many warn of choosing something you don't absolutley love, but in my case, I am not sure, espicalley that it would be too late to change the majors now, I already spent 4 years and a half studying EE, I devloped the marks under my eyes from sleepless nights and started to attend meetings where the ice breaker is "Hi, I am hashmos, and I am a coffee addict".

I want a presitgiuose job, with good pay, doing something I am intersted in. From your experinces, shall I pursue another major in the Masters degree, or do I stick to Electrical Engineering ?

Physics news on Phys.org
hashmos said:
From your experinces, shall I pursue another major in the Masters degree, or do I stick to Electrical Engineering ?
I'm kind of in the same boat as you; by the time I realized I hates my degree I was almost done with it. Most people aren't in love with their major, so it's not a requirement. It makes school a bit easier, but as long as there are some bits of the major that you like, you're fine. Hating every single bit of it is bad, but you're not in that boat.

The great part about a masters is that you can specialize, so you often don't need to take those icky power courses if you don't want to. There are many fewer required courses, and those tend to be more of the math and techniques you need to understand the courses in the concentration of your choosing. The phd will sometimes require you to take more of a selection of courses, but that really depends on how the school structures their program.

I am intreeged by philosophy and phsycology, and entruprenship, but I don't think that, when studying those, that i will find a lot of job opprtunities.
Neuropsych programs would love you, though those jobs are mostly research. On the practical side, you can get an MBA or an engineering masters focused on management. There are always jobs, you've just got to know how to find 'em.

hasmos: out of curiosity, where are you located such that "job market doesn't look good and the crisis took its toll on all of us recent graduates "?

Middle East, UAE ( Dubai should be easier to recognize )

and when I said no jobs opprtunities, place emphasis on pshycology and philosophy.

1. What is the meaning of "Hesitant, Confused, and Desperate"?

The phrase "Hesitant, Confused, and Desperate" is often used to describe a state of uncertainty, confusion, and desperation. It can refer to an emotional or mental state, or a situation that is causing these feelings.

2. What are some common causes of feeling hesitant, confused, and desperate?

There are many potential causes of these feelings, including stress, anxiety, fear, trauma, and major life changes. It can also be a result of feeling overwhelmed or uncertain about a particular decision or situation.

3. How can one overcome these feelings?

Overcoming these feelings can be a complex and individual process. Some potential strategies include seeking support from friends and family, practicing self-care and mindfulness techniques, seeking therapy or counseling, and making positive changes in one's life.

4. Is it normal to feel hesitant, confused, and desperate?

Yes, these feelings are a normal part of the human experience. Everyone experiences them to some degree at different points in their lives. It is important to acknowledge and address these feelings in a healthy way to prevent them from becoming overwhelming or debilitating.

5. Can "Hesitant, Confused, and Desperate" be a positive thing?

While these feelings are often seen as negative, they can also serve as a catalyst for change and growth. They may indicate that something in our lives needs to be addressed and can push us to take action and make positive changes. It is important to find a balance and not let these feelings consume us.