Exploring Astrophysics: The Pros, Cons & Realities

In summary, the speaker is 17 years old and passionate about astrophysics but is concerned about job opportunities and stability in the field. They are advised to major in physics instead, as it opens up more career options. It is mentioned that a PhD in astrophysics does not guarantee a high-paying job, but many people are still drawn to the field. Job opportunities are limited, especially for professor positions, but it is predicted that the economy will improve in the next 10 years.
Ironside
So this is the deal, I'm 17, and I have a passion for science, especially Astrophysics, and I want to major in that department, but the thing is, a lot of people that I know tell me Astrophysics is way too hard, it's not stable, you need to be a genius to make something out of it, not enough money, etc. Now I'm not in it for the money at all, but the thing is, how many people that actually major in astrophysics get settled down to make a comfortable living? And is there a big percentage of people who find it too hard for them and end up switching majors?

Physics news on Phys.org
The first thing to keep in mind is that there are very few jobs in the field if you don't get a PhD. And even if you do, there aren't a ton of jobs in the field. That might just be the economy right now, but it's something to keep in mind, so it's good to leave your options as open as possible. And that means majoring in physics, not astrophysics. If you do want to go to grad school in astronomy or astrophysics, physics is the best major for that, and it leaves you a lot of other options if astronomy doesn't work out.

No, you don't need to be a genius (but it would probably help), you just need to be motivated and dedicated. It's a lot of work, and the physics doesn't come as easily to some people as others, so you might spend twice as long as someone else studying to get the same result.

Even with a PhD astrophysics won't make you rich, but it will make you comfortable. We don't do it for the money.

eri said:
The first thing to keep in mind is that there are very few jobs in the field if you don't get a PhD. And even if you do, there aren't a ton of jobs in the field. That might just be the economy right now, but it's something to keep in mind, so it's good to leave your options as open as possible. And that means majoring in physics, not astrophysics. If you do want to go to grad school in astronomy or astrophysics, physics is the best major for that, and it leaves you a lot of other options if astronomy doesn't work out.

No, you don't need to be a genius (but it would probably help), you just need to be motivated and dedicated. It's a lot of work, and the physics doesn't come as easily to some people as others, so you might spend twice as long as someone else studying to get the same result.

Even with a PhD astrophysics won't make you rich, but it will make you comfortable. We don't do it for the money.
Thanks for the quick response, yea I read on numerous occasions that it's best to major in physics instead because it can leave much more doors open. I'm a very dedicated person; at least to the things that interest me. And no I'm not in it for the money lol.. but it would be nice to have some food on my plate. Just that a lot of people, like you, are saying that there's not many job opportunities out there for this career choice, and IDK what to make of that.

You can always try to be come a professor.

For the most part, astronomers work for colleges and universities, national labs and observatories, and NASA. Most people going into the job want to become a professor; most people won't find a job as a professor. We're graduating many more PhDs in astronomy than people are hiring each year, especially right now. But since you've got about 10 years to go, I think it's a safe bet the economy will have cleared up by then. This is prime hiring time - and the AAS Job Register is listing ONE tenure-track faculty position in astronomy in the US right now. http://members.aas.org/JobReg/JobRegister.cfm#FacPosTen

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is astrophysics?

Astrophysics is a branch of science that focuses on understanding the physical properties and processes of celestial objects such as stars, planets, galaxies, and the universe as a whole. It combines principles from physics, astronomy, and mathematics to study the properties and behavior of these objects.

2. What are the pros of studying astrophysics?

Studying astrophysics allows us to gain a deeper understanding of the universe and its origins. It also helps us develop technologies and methods for space exploration and discovery. Additionally, many discoveries made in astrophysics have practical applications in fields such as medicine, engineering, and communication.

3. What are the cons of studying astrophysics?

One of the main cons of studying astrophysics is that it can be a highly competitive and demanding field, requiring advanced mathematical and technical skills. It also involves a lot of data analysis and computer programming, which can be time-consuming and tedious. Additionally, research in astrophysics can be costly and dependent on funding.

4. What are the realities of working in astrophysics?

Working in astrophysics involves a lot of research, data analysis, and collaboration with other scientists. It also requires constant learning and keeping up with new discoveries and advancements in the field. The work can be challenging and unpredictable, but it can also be incredibly rewarding and fulfilling.

5. What are some potential career options in astrophysics?

There are various career options in astrophysics, including research positions at universities, government agencies, and private companies. Other possible careers include teaching, science communication, and data analysis in industries such as aerospace and defense. Some astrophysicists also work for space agencies such as NASA or ESA.