New to Physics: How to Ace Physics & Double Major in Univeristy?

• Thread starter anthonych414
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Hi
In summary, the speaker is currently in ninth grade and is enjoying their first time taking physics. They have a high grade in both physics and math, but are unsure if this is good enough to study physics in university. They also ask about the difficulty of double majoring in physics and Mechanical Engineering. The responder reassures them that their grades are good and it depends on their country and where they want to apply. They also mention that many people minor in physics while majoring in Mech E, but it may add an extra year to their degree. The speaker lives in Lebanon and wants to apply to Caltech, UCLA, Berkeley, and Northeastern.
anthonych414
Hello I'm in ninth grade and this is the first time I take physics I wasn't doing well at first but now I really like it and I want to major in physics in university. I have an 18/20 in physics and 19/20 in maths is that good for my class or should I be doing better to study physics in university? Is it hard to double major in physics and Mechanical Engineering?

Physics news on Phys.org
So far as I can tell, you're getting really good grades in both classes (>90%), so I think you're stressing out for no good reason. Depends on your country of origin and where you want to apply and all that (always useful info), but as long as you keep your work up you should be fine.

Is it hard to double major in physics and Mechanical Engineering?
So lots of people minor in physics while majoring in Mech E. Majoring is only difficult 'cause it'll probably add about a year to your degree 'cause ME is far too packed to let you just pick up spare physics courses over the years.

I live in Lebanon it's a small country and you probably haven't heard of it (few people outside the middle east have) I want to apply to Caltech, UCLA, Berkeley, And Northeastern.

1. What is the best way to study for a physics course?

The best way to study for a physics course is to actively engage with the material. This includes attending lectures, taking thorough notes, practicing problems, and seeking help from professors or tutors when needed. It is also important to have a strong understanding of fundamental concepts and to regularly review and reinforce your knowledge.

2. How can I prepare for a double major in physics and another subject?

Preparing for a double major in physics and another subject requires careful planning and time management. It is important to have a strong foundation in physics before taking on a double major, so make sure to excel in your physics courses. Additionally, prioritize your time and make sure to stay on top of your coursework for both majors.

3. What are the most challenging concepts in physics?

The most challenging concepts in physics vary from person to person, but some common topics that students struggle with include electromagnetism, quantum mechanics, and relativity. These concepts require a strong understanding of mathematics and can be difficult to visualize, so it is important to dedicate extra time and effort to mastering them.

4. How can I improve my problem-solving skills in physics?

Improving problem-solving skills in physics requires practice and perseverance. Make sure to regularly practice problems, both independently and with others, and don't get discouraged if you struggle with a concept or problem. Seek help from professors or tutors when needed, and make sure to understand the underlying principles and concepts behind each problem.

5. What career options are available for physics majors?

Physics majors have a wide range of career options, including research, engineering, teaching, and data analysis. Many physics majors also go on to pursue graduate studies in fields such as physics, engineering, or medicine. The critical thinking and problem-solving skills acquired through studying physics can also be applied to a variety of other industries, making physics a versatile and valuable degree.