High dielectric strength insulator

In summary, the individual is seeking advice on insulating material for an ion Thomson Parabola spectrometer. They have found PBN and MIca to be potential options, but with limitations in size and dielectric strength. They also mention considering other materials through MatWeb's "Property Search." Ultimately, they have decided to use PTFE, but still experiencing discharges between electrodes and a metal pillar, leading them to create a chassis with PTFE to reduce the gap.
1Keenan
Hello!

I would need advice on insulator material I can use for an ion Thomson Parabola spectrometer.
I would need to use an insulating sheet of 225x600x1,5mm and a smaller sheet of 100x100x1,5mm

I found PBN having an incredible dielctric strength, but seems like it cannot be manufactured in sheets bigger that 100x200 mm with proper flatness
MIca seems to be good as well and easier to produce, but I cannot find a supplier selling it with dielectrict strenght higher than 30kV/mm. In literature it is reported something like 100kV/mm and sometimes even more.

DO you have any suggestions?

THank you in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
Last edited:
  • Informative
Likes berkeman
Regular boron nitride or the hot pressed boron nitride is a machinable material, so the flatness is not a problem. However, 600mm is still too big, as the manufacturers don't have such a big hot presser. QS Advanced Materials have the largest boron nitride material in the market but is still at about 400mm.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi,

Well, I solved with a good quality PTFE, I could apply up to +/-50 on both electrodes. Then I had discharges but not through the insulator. The happened between the electrodes and a metal reinforcing pillar in the vacuum chamber.
So I made a chassis with PTFE that also reduces the gap, and the voltage

• Informative
Likes berkeman

1. What is a high dielectric strength insulator?

A high dielectric strength insulator is a material that can withstand high voltage without allowing an electric current to pass through it. It is commonly used in electrical and electronic devices to prevent short circuits and ensure safe operation.

2. How is the dielectric strength of an insulator measured?

The dielectric strength of an insulator is measured by applying a high voltage to the material and determining the maximum voltage that it can withstand before breaking down and allowing an electric current to flow through it. This measurement is typically expressed in units of volts per unit thickness (V/mil or kV/mm).

3. What factors affect the dielectric strength of an insulator?

The dielectric strength of an insulator can be affected by various factors, including the material composition, thickness, temperature, and the presence of impurities or defects. Generally, materials with high molecular polarity and strong chemical bonds tend to have higher dielectric strength.

4. How does a high dielectric strength insulator differ from a low dielectric strength insulator?

The main difference between a high dielectric strength insulator and a low dielectric strength insulator is their ability to withstand high voltages. High dielectric strength insulators have a higher breakdown voltage, while low dielectric strength insulators have a lower breakdown voltage. This means that high dielectric strength insulators are better suited for high voltage applications.

5. What are some common uses of high dielectric strength insulators?

High dielectric strength insulators are commonly used in electrical and electronic equipment, such as capacitors, transformers, cables, and printed circuit boards. They are also used in high voltage power transmission and distribution systems to insulate and protect the conductors from each other and the environment.

Back