Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

High pass filter for pulse shaping

1. May 15, 2007 #1
    Hello All,

I have been doing some experiments where I need to make a very short pulse to switch on and off a MOSFET I am using (IRF840) but all I have as a pulse source is a small function generator which outputs square waves fixed at 50% duty cycle.

So I had an idea to use a simple high pass filter like this one mentioned on Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_pass_filter

So I decided to duplicate the simpe circuit to shorten the width of the pulses coming out of my function generator. The output square wave was about 4V with a +2V DC Offset. I put the output in series with a 3.4nF cap and a potentiometer to adjust the width. Then I fed that output directly to the gate of the MOSFET. But It didn't switch the FET on.

So I took off the FET and replaced it with a 2KOhm resistor and scoped across that to see what the output looked like. It appeared that I was getting nice spikes but they were going negative rather than positive.

So I'm wondering if someone could give me a tip on how to adapt the high pass filter to make positive voltage spikes that I can use to switch on my MOSFET. Any help/advice appreciated :smile:

Thanks,
    Jason O

2. jcsd
  3. May 15, 2007 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

If you have a 0-4V square wave and follow it with a capacitor and then a resistor to ground as you describe, then you should be seeing +/-2Vp spikes at the square wave edges, centered on 0V. In order to protect the MOSFET gate, you should probably put in a clamping diode from ground to your gate (clamps the negative spikes at -0.6V instead of allowing -2V).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?