High pressure vs speed of sound?

In summary, the speed of sound in air is primarily determined by temperature, with some minor deviations for a real gas. The effect of high pressure up to 1,000psi is likely negligible in changing the speed of sound. The Mean Free Path of molecules in air is not solely indicative of the speed of sound. There is limited research on the effect of pressure on the speed of sound in air, but it is likely minimal.
iminhell
I understand that for normal atmospheric conditions the speed of sound is relative to the temperature. I also understand that the equation uses the input temperature to first figure the density of air. But my question has to do with the effect of high pressure, we'll say above atmospheric to 1,000psi.
Will the speed of sound change because the molecules of air are now more tightly packed in our constant volume and there by their Mean Free Path is less? (meaning that following the temperature model the speed of sound should slow and pressure increases above atmospheric)
Can the speed of sound in air be determined solely from the Mean Free Path?

I've been searching for 2 days now for this answer and have been unable to find one. I did find work by a Martin Greenspan for the speed of sound in vacuum/partial vacuum. But I'm not sure if it applies to air or pressure situations.

Looking for the information pretty much to settle a bet with myself. We tend to argue. More so now that he hasn't been sleeping well and I have. :smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
For an ideal gas, the sound speed is dependent exclusively on temperature. This will deviate somewhat for a real gas, but not all that much. I haven't looked into it, but my guess would be that the effect of pressure up to 1kpsi is pretty much negligible.

1. What is the relationship between high pressure and the speed of sound?

The speed of sound is directly proportional to the pressure of the medium it is traveling through. This means that as the pressure increases, the speed of sound also increases.

2. How does high pressure affect the speed of sound in different mediums?

The speed of sound varies depending on the medium it is traveling through. In general, the higher the pressure, the faster the speed of sound will be. This is because high pressure compresses the medium, making it denser and allowing sound waves to travel faster.

3. What is the impact of high pressure on the propagation of sound waves?

High pressure can have a significant impact on the propagation of sound waves. As the pressure increases, sound waves are able to travel through the medium more quickly and with less energy loss. This can result in clearer and more intense sound.

4. How does temperature affect the relationship between high pressure and the speed of sound?

The speed of sound is also affected by temperature. In general, as temperature increases, so does the speed of sound. However, at extremely high pressures and temperatures, this relationship can become more complex.

5. What are some real-world applications of understanding the relationship between high pressure and the speed of sound?

Understanding the relationship between high pressure and the speed of sound is crucial in many industries, such as aerospace and underwater acoustics. It can also be used in medical applications, such as ultrasound technology. Additionally, this knowledge can help in predicting and mitigating the effects of extreme weather conditions, such as thunderstorms and hurricanes.