1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

High School Age 14 subject options

1. Feb 5, 2016 #1
    Hello, I urgently need advice on what options are best for a future career in (i) science (ii) a job unrelated to science. What options will open more doors into employment + offer more university degree courses

Combination of options are:

1. Physics + food technology (cookery) + design technology (making stuff)

OR

2. Geography + food technology (cookery) + design technology (making stuff)

OR

3. Physics + Geography + design technology (making stuff)

All combinations will include chemistry biology and maths.

My son says he wants to be an entrepreneur/businessman ..... though he doesn't know in what field.

Thanks. deadline for submission 2 weeks

Last edited: Feb 5, 2016
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 5, 2016 #2

Nidum

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

4. Feb 5, 2016 #3
    Please advise why. My son is sitting next to me huffing and puffing. He wants to do option 2

5. Feb 5, 2016 #4

Nidum

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Unless your son wants to pursue a career specifically in the food industry the food technology option is of little value so that eliminates groups 1 and 2 .

Group 3 has mostly science and technology content which would be useful for pursuing any further education and career in these subjects . Geography is a good general knowledge subject with some science content .

6. Feb 5, 2016 #5
    I can see OPTION 3 is the best but maybe i should be asking is OPTION 2 really that bad (considering that maths chemistry and biology will be studied)?

OPTION 2: Geography + food technology (cookery) + design technology (making stuff)

7. Feb 5, 2016 #6
    You sound like you've already made up your mind, just tell your son to take what he wants to take if you feel that strongly about option 2

8. Feb 6, 2016 #7

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Option 3 is the best option, Option 2 is the worst option. If you want to go into science, then physics will be more useful than geography.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook