Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

High school kids building nuclear reactors?

1. Jan 13, 2012 #1
    So occasionally I see something in the news about some teenage who built a nuclear reactor in his basement. And just the other day, my girlfriend told me that one of her clients mentioned that her boyfriend is a Physics major at my university, and has a nuclear reactor in his garage that he started building when he was 12.

Needless to say, this is all making me feel pretty inadequate. But all of the aside, I was wondering how people even go about doing something like that, regardless of their age. Wouldn't it be highly illegal to do something like that? How do they get a hold of radioactive materials? And wouldn't it cost A LOT of money to make?

I'm just curious if these people are just insanely talented/lucky/wealthy, or if building a nuclear reactor isn't as hard as I thought.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 13, 2012 #2

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Building a 900MW commercial reactor and electrical generating plant is hard.

Building one in your garage with no intention of powering anything isn't as hard :) I'm no expert on reactors but things like "Nuclear reactor" and "particle accelerator" and "telescope" cover a vast spectrum in terms of complexity and usefulness.

4. Jan 13, 2012 #3

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Sorry, we don't discuss dangerous or illegal activities on the PF. Thread is closed.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook