1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

High School Physics: Doppler Effect

1. Jul 5, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

An automobile is approaching you at a speed of 60.0 km/h and sounding its horn. The fundamental frequency of the horn sounds to you like 388 Hz. If the real fundamental frequency of the horn is 369 Hz, what is the speed of sound?

2. Relevant equations

Doppler Frequency = (speed of sound / (speed of sound - speed of source)) source frequency

fd = (vw/ vw - vs) fs

3. The attempt at a solution

What I'm having trouble with is rearranging the formula to solve for the speed of sound. Because there is two 'speed of sound' variables, you either end up dividing one by the other, and eliminating all variables; or subtracting one from the other, and (once again) eliminating all variables. As far as I can see, it's not possible?

Could someone help me out with rearranging this formula properly?

In case anyone's wondering, it's Grade 11 Physics.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 6, 2010 #2
    You have the formula written down wrong.

You wrote:

fd = (vw/ vw - vs) fs

It's supposed to be:

fd = (vw / (vw - vs)) fs

Good luck!

4. Jul 6, 2010 #3

Filip Larsen

Gold Member

Try multiply both sides of the equation (when its written up correctly as Tusike noted) with vw-vs. The resulting equation should now be easier to solve for vw.

5. Jul 6, 2010 #4
    Thanks alot! I got the correct answer, thanks to both of those pieces of advice.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook