1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

High school senior looking to get some minor summer research experience.

1. Nov 27, 2011 #1
    Hi all. I'm a high school senior. After a lot of reading through this forum I have noticed that a lot of people do undergrad research. This is a completely new idea for me. I was always under the impression that research starts at grad school at the earliest. I've even noticed some high school students asking for a position.

I would like to try this. I'm lucky that there is a university only 30 mins from where I live. Anyway 2 years ago I went on a week of work placement there. It was very enjoyable and I became relatively friendly with my mentor who was a technical assistant who was working on his masters.

I would be willing to do the grunt work. Whatever it consists of whether it be getting the coffee, typing e-mails or staring at a thermometer for an hour.

I am fairly competent in physics and I am taking an extra subject in high school equivalent to freshman classical mechanics.

The only problem is I need money to pay for college. Would it be very audacious of me to ask for money?

Thanks in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 27, 2011 #2

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Well, expect him to say "no".

For him to give you money means you have to somehow go on the university payroll. The university will then turn around and ask him questions like "Can't someone who is already employed do this?" and "Can't an undergraduate do this?" and maybe even "Why wasn't this in your grant proposal anyway?"

If you are under 18, expect even more questions.

4. Nov 27, 2011 #3
    Ah that's a pity. Oh well it really was a shot in the dark.
    Would you think any industrial companies would be willing to hire someone for any of the grunt work?
    Also would it be seen negatively if I said grunt work in an email?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook